'92 Surf - Starting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92 Surf - Starting Problem

Still quite new to this & hoping someone has some ideas.

Bought my '92 Surf (2.4 Manual) in May this year, and since then I've had an additional bench seat fitted in the rear but no other mods...read on and you'll understand why!

Went on holiday in July & a few days in, the cylinder head cracked. Local garage clocked up 32hours fixing it and had to be negociated down to £1200 for the Labour alone.

Because we were on holiday we had lots of extra accomodation etc. costs...

Drove home; the clutch went - another £800!

Including all the parts I've now spent three times what I paid for it since May!

Since then I've learned that the steering idler needs some attention (hoping I can have a go at fixing this myself - I did stumble on a link to an Australian site that covered replacing the bushes, but haven't found it again...so if anyone remembers the link/thread...?)

Anyway - back to the starting problem. (BTW, I'm not very techie, but I'm planning on picking stuff up as I go along - the garage bills are making me unhappy)

I though at first it was a battery problem. Trying to start, the starter would turn, but would quite quickly flatten the batteries. Charged both batteries & joy - it started. A day later and I was back to the same problem.

Charged both batteries, left it overnight, checked the batteries in the morning and they were reading 12.9v each (engine not running). Started the engine (it was reluctant, but started) and the batteries read 13.6v each with the engine running (I was expecting 14.4v ...ish). Is 13.6v normal in the surf?

most days same problem - and most days it will start with a jump start from my wife's car.

Strangely, at the end of my working day it generally starts ok (though needs to turn over a few times). If the engine's warm it always starts first time.

Cycling the glow plugs 2, 3 or 4 times doesn't seem to make any difference.

and after all of this...it's very, very smoky on start.

Long sad story - real shame as the bodywork is the best I'd seen on any '92 I looked at buying. I think I may have inherited someone else's neglect.

Anyway any help/advice much appreciated! Cheers

not sure about voltage, I'd have to check - I'm sure it should be 14+v though
    Starting issue sounds like heater plugs aren't working.
    When they did the engine work, did they assemble the insulators on the glow plug busbar connector post correctly? if you check the 80A fuse at the end of the fuse box, it may have blown. If it has blown it may be because the busbar has shorted to earth.
    With good working glow plugs, the surf should start easily - without them it can be a pig to start. When I blew my 80a fuse, I managed to start the engine without flattening the batteries but ran like a dumper truck for a few seconds and smoked badly.

steering idler is an easy DIY fix - you can buy the new bushes quite cheaply if you want to strip and refurbish it

Comment

Not only do diesels need glow plugs for starting, but a decent cranking speed is needed to get the compression and therefore heat to fire up the engine.

The voltage is a bit on the low side, try checking the voltage before starting in the morning and see what it is.

It may be a combination of a tired alternator not giving a full charge to the batteries and a tired starter motor needing more power to spin the engine
      Another thing to try is to make sure all the battery terminals and earth connections are clean and lubricated with a bit of vaseline.

Regards

TFB

Comment

'92 Surf - Starting Problem (alternative batteries??)

Thanks for the advice both - a great help - still leaving the surf on charge overnight to be sure of starting each morning!

Finally took the batteries out for a proper test - both came up as "unserviceable" - so it looks like I've got two batteries to buy.

Any advice?

The batteries that are in are "the right ones" - Lucas - can't remember the model number, but they're 12v 74Ah 590A (cold start)

Does anyone know if it's OK to put in different spec batteries?

Bosch do a 12v 72Ah 700A - and I wonder if it's ok to buy these as an alternative (Remarkably cheap from costco)

Unfortunately they're not available as L/H - R/H - but I was planning on extending one set of battery leads to overcome this.

Advice very welcome!

Cheers, PD

Comment

Working...
        X