• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water problem

Can anyone help me

I have a big problem with my 4 runner.
    Can't seem to find the answer.

I top up the water and within 48 hrs it needs topping up again. Can't find any leaks but the other day it also started only blowing cold through the heater. for over 6 months now it gets up to temp very quickly. within about 5 mins from a cold start. Then disaster struck it dumped all the water out on my way home. I think its the rad as i have had the water pump changed along with the stat.

Anybody got any other ideas ??

Head Gaskets.

Go and visit you local Toyota dealer, they should warrentee it for you, the rest of the world gets it done for free, or just labour with unlimited miles/age on the V6 motors that have the dodgy batch.

I'd get as much info from the web as poss, US website have it covered.

Don't take no for answer, you'll probably have a little trouble, as the Runner was only sold officially for 3 years, and nobody knows much about them.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

My ex's 4Runner had them done under warrentee at 55,000miles, 7 year old car, just before we got it.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 4runner on holiday in Norway. The radiator drain plug came loose and it lost a load of coolant. I noticed before it got too hot, but after that it just kept running hot, and needing topping up every 20 mins. In the end it was just an air lock. It drove me mad for two days, but once I got all the air out it was fine. Once I got home I changed the coolant for the right mix, and it has not needed topping up since (six months ago!). I found that parking it facing up a steep hill and running the engine with the heater on and the radiator cap off whilst slowly dribbling coolant into the rad was the best way.

Comment

Originally posted by MAD MANXMAN
        Can anyone help me

I top up the water and within 48 hrs it needs topping up again. Can't find any leaks but the other day it also started only blowing cold through the heater. for over 6 months now it gets up to temp very quickly. within about 5 mins from a cold start. Then disaster struck it dumped all the water out on my way home. I think its the rad as i have had the water pump changed along with the stat.

I'd be tempted to try a new rad cap first.
        Pete

Comment

You need to get your head gasket and cylinder head checked immediatly, I recently had similar problems with my surf, after much toing and froing checking rad etc, the cylinder head cracked resulting in new cylinder head and engine reconditioned, all the bores were damaged.

Very expensive, but I have since found out that it is a fault that is common with the EFI 2.4 deisel engine pre 1994, also can happen to 3ltrs.

You dont say what year etc yours is but getting it checked quickly is the cheapest option.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazza
            You need to get your head gasket and cylinder head checked immediatly, I recently had similar problems with my surf, after much toing and froing checking rad etc, the cylinder head cracked resulting in new cylinder head and engine reconditioned, all the bores were damaged.

Very expensive, but I have since found out that it is a fault that is common with the EFI 2.4 deisel engine pre 1994, also can happen to 3ltrs.

You dont say what year etc yours is but getting it checked quickly is the cheapest option.
            It's a 3.0 V6, click on his profile.

Comment

Can anyone help me

airlock in system
              [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
              [size=5][/size]
              [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

CHEERS GUYS FOR THE RESPONCES

Have today taken of the radiator to find that 75% of the fins have corroded. Have sent this off to be recored. Hope this is the answer. Last year it had a new water pump and stat so if it's not the rad (but judging by the state of the old one) it can only be the head gaskets. Interested in the warrente side. Mine is a 1994 model 3.0v6 has done 137k do you think they will still cover this. My toyota garage here on the island are lets say not to ofay with the 4x4 market. Just seem to get blank looks of the spanner monkeys.

Thanks again for all the pointers it seems a stroke of luck finding this forum. Hope the surfeys don't mind the 4 runners using it as well.

Steve

Comment

I had a V6 4Runner, 93' in black. Lovely motor. But the ex has it now.

Just a 3.0TD (Linda's ) and 2.4TD surfs, and a V8 Hilux pick-up to play with now.

More Runners the merrier, 'specially nice V6 ones.

(PS, lovely place you live, my Mum and Dad go there religiously 2 or 3 times a year, once for the Manx, rest just for holidays. I've been a couple of times, hope to get back next year at the lastest.)

Comment

Isle Of Man

You'll have to give us a shout when your over. We can take you out with the IOM 4x4 club. Do some proper green laning and play up in the mountians and in the glens.

That is if i get my motor soughted out !

Comment

You'll have to give us a shout when your over. We can take you out with the IOM 4x4 club. Do some proper green laning and play up in the mountians and in the glens.

That is if i get my motor soughted out !

Can we go this year please Tony???? He said we can play in the mountains!!!
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

CHEERS GUYS FOR THE RESPONCES

Have today taken of the radiator to find that 75% of the fins have corroded. Have sent this off to be recored. Hope this is the answer. Last year it had a new water pump and stat so if it's not the rad (but judging by the state of the old one) it can only be the head gaskets. Interested in the warrente side. Mine is a 1994 model 3.0v6 has done 137k do you think they will still cover this. My toyota garage here on the island are lets say not to ofay with the 4x4 market. Just seem to get blank looks of the spanner monkeys.

Thanks again for all the pointers it seems a stroke of luck finding this forum. Hope the surfeys don't mind the 4 runners using it as well.

Steve
                        Surfs / 4 Runners - they're all the same really. Welcome to the Forum. We even got people with Suzukis and Landrovers here so 4 Runners are definately most welcome.

Cheers

Comment

Hope the surfeys don't mind the 4 runners using it as well.

They've got no choice - I'm here to stay!!!
                          NO WORRIES!
                          Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                            Can we go this year please Tony???? He said we can play in the mountains!!!
                            hehe, if your a good girl..........

Comment

Originally posted by rusty

They've got no choice - I'm here to stay!!!

Question ? How much was the LPG conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X