Turbo timer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo timer Question

What are the benifits to fitting a turbo timer over the conventional system of a standard 3.0 lt TD (not intercooled). I keep seeing these advertised for sale and now my curiosity has the better of me.

Would one increase performance, economy, or turbo efficiency?

Fish
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

turbo timer

Hi I believe a turbo timer keeps the engin on for a while when
    you turn the engin off.
    This is to let the turbo "cool" down gradually to prevent wear
    and damage that can be caused if you have been on a long trip
    especially on motorways and then just turn the engine off.
    To save money just let the engin idle for a while before
    turn it off?
    Or I could be wrong which wont be the first!
    Cheers Chris
    GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Seeing as how I tend to do a lot of motorway driving, if your right then one would not be a bad idea for me to fit, £20 on a unit that will help preserve the turbo could be money well spent.

Many thanks for your reply poppy

Fish

Comment

If you come of the motorway and drive at town speeds for a couple of minutes then this will be enough to let the turbo cool down without damage.

Rich.
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

I have recently bought my Surf and as it was imported quite recently it still had the turbo timer fitted.

I have had a Thatcham category 2 imobilizer fitted which reduces the insurace costs etc. I had to have the T/Timer removed because the alarm / imobilizer will not arm itself if the turbo timer is keeping the engine running after you have left the vehicle.

The autoelec who fitted the imobilizer also said that T/Timers are illegal in this country (something to do with environmental laws apparently, but then again he could have just been talking out of his tail pipe.)

As Rich said, the town driving should suffice even if it is just for a few minutes.

Comment

Yeah, its against the law to leave a vehicle running unattended.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

OK then that settles it, I will not bother with one of those.

Many thanks for the reply's guys.

Fish

Comment

Well yeah it might be illegal to have a vehicle running unattended.
                But who says u are?

I have a turbo timer and think its great.
                also i hav a aftermarket toad alarm no interference there.
                I get the key out truck is running on the timer while I get my crap out and ready to get inside.
                By the time I have closed the back etc the truck has stopped running

so all good and within the law lol

Ttimers are even fitted on a lot of newer coaches and artics.
                so the turbo cools down without the risk of someone driving off, as there is no key in the ignition but the driver is still around the vehicle lol
                One day at the time I guess..

Comment

also worth noteing that it can also invalidate your insurance if they know its attached
                  i know this to be true because i declared it to the insurance company along with the anti hijack
                  they wouldnt insure me till i signed saying they were no longer working or implemented as part of the alarm
                  at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Working...
                  X