Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Pressure and Wastegate

Right then....

Bought my Surf a few weeks ago, been very pleased with it. I noticed that the green 'turbo' light had never been on the dash, so set about finding the reason. It turned out to be a small pipe off the manifold (found due to reading posts on this forum.. Thanks all!!!).

I took it out for a test drive, and flippin eck!!! It doesn't half shift now!!

But.... as I accelerate, the turbo light goes out, and the check engine light comes on. Then, if I back off a bit, the lights swap back again. There is no noticable loss of power..

I've read the fault codes, and as expected, the fault code was 2, turbo pressure sensor. I can only assume that the turbo is going over pressure (guess I'll have to get a gauge fitted to check properly..)

So.. What do I do to reduce the turbo pressure? I've checked to see if there were extra washers to 'pack out' the wastegate, but there weren't any.

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks...

Dave
    It just does, OK?

Hi Dave
    I have a 89 2.4 surf and the lights are amazing. Some days neither the red or green work other days the red stays on from the word go other times usually on a Tuesday the green light works above about 1500 rpm and no red light at all. Then all of a sudden the red light comes on for the next couple of hours then goes off again and the green light comes so in a nut shell I have not got a clue but you are not alone.
    Chris
    Regards
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
      Right then....

Bought my Surf a few weeks ago, been very pleased with it. I noticed that the green 'turbo' light had never been on the dash, so set about finding the reason. It turned out to be a small pipe off the manifold (found due to reading posts on this forum.. Thanks all!!!).

I took it out for a test drive, and flippin eck!!! It doesn't half shift now!!

But.... as I accelerate, the turbo light goes out, and the check engine light comes on. Then, if I back off a bit, the lights swap back again. There is no noticable loss of power..

I've read the fault codes, and as expected, the fault code was 2, turbo pressure sensor. I can only assume that the turbo is going over pressure (guess I'll have to get a gauge fitted to check properly..)

So.. What do I do to reduce the turbo pressure? I've checked to see if there were extra washers to 'pack out' the wastegate, but there weren't any.

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks...

Dave
      Did you reset ECU after reconnecting the hose?

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        Did you reset ECU after reconnecting the hose?

Neville

No I didn't. Well, actually, I tried but it didn't work!

I read the code, and then disconnected the ECD relay for a while. (over a minute). Plugged the relay back in, and the code was still there. It then started to rain heavily, so didn't have a chance to try and reset by disconnecting the battery.

I assume the correct ECD relay IS the one in the engine bay fusebox????
        It just does, OK?

Comment

Disconnect both batteries to be sure & leave for a while 1 minute might be too short
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Disconnect both batteries to be sure & leave for a while 1 minute might be too short
            Just done that. Checked the codes again, and there's just the one flash now, so that's normal. I'll be going out in it later. I'll see if it comes on again....
            It just does, OK?

Comment

Just been out for a test... Got it nice and warm, then went for it, and accellerated fairly hard. Turbo light came on, then the check engine light..
              Fault code reads the same. Code 2.

Any suggestions?

My thoughts are to get a boost gauge, to see what pressure is actually there, as it could be overboosting, or it could be a dodgy switch.

Any others??
              It just does, OK?

Comment

Going to get a boost gauge tomorrow.

Does anyone know the best place to connect it in to the turbo system?

Do I just tee it off where the pressure sensor is?

What sort of pressure's am I going to be expecting? I'v read on here a few times of 11-12 psi. Does that sound about right to everyone? Seems a bit high to me for the pressure sensor side of the turbo. They're only push on rubber hoses. 11 psi is quite a lot really!!!

All answers gratefully received!!!
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Got a boost gauge fitted today..

Teed it in to where the pressure sensor is, on the nearside wing. The boost pressure under average to hard acceleration is about 1 bar (14.5 psi)!!

Can anyone confirm if this is about right, or do I have a problem with overboosting of my Turbo??

Also, strangely, my check engine light hasn't come on since the gauge has been fitted..

Ah well, nothing's straightforward, is it!!!?
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                    Got a boost gauge fitted today..

Teed it in to where the pressure sensor is, on the nearside wing. The boost pressure under average to hard acceleration is about 1 bar (14.5 psi)!!

Can anyone confirm if this is about right, or do I have a problem with overboosting of my Turbo??

Also, strangely, my check engine light hasn't come on since the gauge has been fitted..

Ah well, nothing's straightforward, is it!!!?
                    I'm sure pressure is supposed to be 7.4-9.7psi. 1bar is surely too high - and would support the error code you have got.

Kev
                    Last edited by exmee46; 11 April 2005, 22:47.

Comment

Working...
                    X