I love my surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox

Thanks for all your pictures and videos, I can see how my gearbox is the issue. Drove it last night for 10 mins up the lanes with a few small hills from cold as gearbox works better cold! as soon as it was warm gearbox would start to slip when revved high and going up the steeper hills. Vince can I have that gearbox and torque converter off you? Would I need to do any refurbishment on them? Apart from the obvious ATF fluid change. Any other recommendations to get done while the gearbox is out. Where are you located? Can you do the gearbox change if interested? If you want to PM me with the details on the gearbox front that would be great. Can't wait to get the full use of my truck finally! ) Matt
    Last edited by hamondo; 4 April 2014, 12:57.
    Process of elimination.....

Comment

Gearbox and T/C are still here mate, £80 for the two.

No refurb needed, just ATF.

I'm near Newbridge NP11. Didn't you come here before? Black 2nd gen?

Collection anytime as I'm always here.

I can't spare the time or garage space to fit it for you at the moment, sorry. I'm a few months behind schedule with these conversions.

Comment

Auto box

I'll defo have that gearbox and T / C I don't think I've been up your way before, and my other surfs where green and blue 2nd gen really appreciate this. Do you think its lift able into the back of a surf or estate?? Plus your address and I'll then be able to arrange to collect ) many thanks Matt

Comment

Originally posted by hamondo View Post
          I'll defo have that gearbox and T / C I don't think I've been up your way before, and my other surfs where green and blue 2nd gen really appreciate this. Do you think its lift able into the back of a surf or estate?? Plus your address and I'll then be able to arrange to collect ) many thanks Matt

Matt, I need to be in Ross-on-Wye tomorrow (Sunday) for 11am and I'll be going through Usk. I can fetch the gearbox and T/C with me to drop off either on my way there or way back, 9:15am or 12:45pm. What say you?

Comment

Update

That's would be great if you are, no problem on your times all fine. I'll have the money waiting and a cuppa if you have time. Postcode NP15 1NE Coed Cwmwr Bungalow, Llangeview, Attlybella rd, Usk.
            If you have satnav it's easyer. Otherwise call me and I'll direct. 07403 249 289, all ok with me I'll be in mate

Comment

Gearbox update

915 if ok

Comment

That's would be great if you are, no problem on your times all fine. I'll have the money waiting and a cuppa if you have time. Postcode NP15 1NE Coed Cwmwr Bungalow, Llangeview, Attlybella rd, Usk.
                If you have satnav it's easyer. Otherwise call me and I'll direct. 07403 249 289, all ok with me I'll be in mate

OK, I'll be with you 9:15am. Just as easy to call in on the way to Ross as it is coming back as you're off the beaten track a bit.

See you in the morning.

Comment

I've read the whole thread. Phew!

What an epic adventure and what about the costs involved! Blimey!

Sounds like that truck owes you a lifetime of good service. If ever you come to sell it just direct any future owners to this thread and they can see how well loved and looked after it is.

So glad you got it sorted and hopefully now with the Bushwacker's gearbox your motor is properly ready to rock and roll.

Fair play to you for the patience you've demonstrated, and for not getting too downheartened and too skint with the seemingly bottomless money pit the truck has become.

I hope you'll both be very happy together

Great thread!
                  Now it's time to play!

Comment

It's not over!

Further update,
                    Had gearbox and T/C fitted today plus all fresh AT fluid and truck is better on hills and pulls better but! And it's a big BUT! It still over heats with just me in! As in the engine coolant gage moves off half way and gets off the coolant symbol! I then put both heater fans on and it comes right back down.

Cost to have that was £493.84 and took 7 hours and 9 liters of AT fluid.

So after driving it and being disappointed, I got past that and started thinking again, the garage mentioned to me that they thought the new steel radiator was not up to the job and questioned me on was it new or second hand, due to the marks on it when inspected by them before it was fitted. I rang up Rough trax who I bought it through and asked why it looked this way and they said at the time of purchase there was a shortage of aluminium rads and steel ones, and that the steel ones may have been refurbished and tested and that when I order a new steel one I may have got one of these depending on there supplier at the time! So this has made me think is it my steel rad that's not providing enough cooling power? When my father ordered his rad he got a brand new aluminium one, and his temp never budges!
                    May have forgot to mention I had a new viscous fan fitted too, so I know it's not that.
                    Would make a lot of sense if it was that! I decided to take out my empty horse box trailer knowing with the fans I can control the coolant side and it pulled fine but if I turned the fans off the temp gauge went up, so confirms that more cooling required, and with everything changed I'm stumped as to what it could be? Also the AT oil temp light came on at the end of our 20min journey while parking the trailer but as soon as I unhitched an pulled away it went off.

All helpful comments welcome. Thanks for all help and advice through this.

I really now am beginning to start to lose a little paitents.
                    Matt

Comment

Further update,
                      Had gearbox and T/C fitted today plus all fresh AT fluid and truck is better on hills and pulls better but! And it's a big BUT! It still over heats with just me in! As in the engine coolant gage moves off half way and gets off the coolant symbol! I then put both heater fans on and it comes right back down.

Cost to have that was £493.84 and took 7 hours and 9 liters of AT fluid.

So after driving it and being disappointed, I got past that and started thinking again, the garage mentioned to me that they thought the new steel radiator was not up to the job and questioned me on was it new or second hand, due to the marks on it when inspected by them before it was fitted. I rang up Rough trax who I bought it through and asked why it looked this way and they said at the time of purchase there was a shortage of aluminium rads and steel ones, and that the steel ones may have been refurbished and tested and that when I order a new steel one I may have got one of these depending on there supplier at the time! So this has made me think is it my steel rad that's not providing enough cooling power? When my father ordered his rad he got a brand new aluminium one, and his temp never budges!
                      May have forgot to mention I had a new viscous fan fitted too, so I know it's not that.
                      Would make a lot of sense if it was that! I decided to take out my empty horse box trailer knowing with the fans I can control the coolant side and it pulled fine but if I turned the fans off the temp gauge went up, so confirms that more cooling required, and with everything changed I'm stumped as to what it could be? Also the AT oil temp light came on at the end of our 20min journey while parking the trailer but as soon as I unhitched an pulled away it went off.

All helpful comments welcome. Thanks for all help and advice through this.

I really now am beginning to start to lose a little paitents.
                      Matt
                      Matt I think ya have the patience of a saint n definitely love for ya Truck... Big respect buddy
                      I wouldn't advocate ya spend another shilling on ya Truck, BUT as I see it there are 2 options .....

1. Another new/better Rad
                      2. Fit a extra stand alone cooler for the gearbox
                      So ya have a dilemma, whichever is the cheaper may be ya finale !! lets hope so
                      Some other opinions may or maynot help ya make a decision but ultimately it's ya decision n when you've come this far ...
                      Good Luck

12+ Years of Surfs n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota, no it's not spotless now !!
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                        Matt I think ya have the patience of a saint n definitely love for ya Truck... Big respect buddy
                        I wouldn't advocate ya spend another shilling on ya Truck, BUT as I see it there are 2 options .....

1. Another new/better Rad
                        2. Fit a extra stand alone cooler for the gearbox
                        So ya have a dilemma, whichever is the cheaper may be ya finale !! lets hope so
                        Some other opinions may or maynot help ya make a decision but ultimately it's ya decision n when you've come this far ...
                        Good Luck

12+ Years of Surfs n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota, no it's not spotless now !!
                        i'm really feeling for you with this truck...

mine has a very occasional overheat, under very long climbs, and on a very hot day, so I've read a lot on this myself.

few things I would recommend I've not seen mentioned yet:

1. read this thread if you haven't already:
                        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v....php?f=7&t=195
                        lots of stuff to double check

2. somewhere in the above thread, there's a post detailing that when you remove the thermostat or coolant pump (can't remember doing my stat but think it might be at same time), it's worth poking your finger in the hole behind, as apparently it can get part blocked/clogged slowing flow, which may be applicable with your coolant gelling up issues. just found it:
                        "Hi. I own my Surf two and half years and had the overheating problem when towing. The needle moves up to the red when climbing. I decided to remove and inspect the waterpump. Drained radiator and remove pump. Almost no coolent came out when I remove pump. There is a small hole in block. I took wire and poke the hole. Coolant rushed out as I opened the blockage. Towed more than 500 km trailer and done some serious beach driving. No overheating at all. I did ad two tubes of fluid to fan hub at the same time. Hope this easy fix can help others."

3. do the torque converter locking mod. It's relatively easy, needing only 3 wires and a switch (i used those little snap locks to splice into existing wires), but means you can effectively lock the gearbox on any long climb, stopping heat build up due to the stupid ATF cooler design

I'd agree that a new genuine Toyota rad might be worth trying if any doubt at all about yours
                        Last edited by boma23; 19 April 2014, 04:47.
                        RZN185 1" lift, 32s - KZN130 2" lift, 32s

Comment

Matt as others have said, Respect.

Are you 100% sure that the cooling system has been bled properly ?

An airlock will cause the temp to rise quickly

Comment

Further update

Right! I'm hoping I have found the final reason why my cooling overheats and my ATF over heats. But more to the point why my Surf from the start of this whole process has felt like it is being held back, or as most of you surf owners out there call going up a hill under load and the temperature rises and would overheat if you didn't reach the top of the hill first. It looks likes and sounds like my high ratio part of my transfer box has a collapsed bearing or major wear which is causing the issue. I found this out the other day when I was collecting wood and loading up the surf, I was in a soft wooded area and thought as the truck was loaded I would make it easy to get out of the area by using the low ratio 4WD. So popped it in and as I pulled away notice the surf felt like my last 2 surfs did in that everything glided along and felt like riding on a cloud with nothing holding it back. So I did a quick test while out of the woods on the flat and went backwards and forwards from high to low and noticed that the truck would on idle and foot off the foot brake and in low would move or glide effort sly, which my other 2 surfs did when in high in the same manor. Now when I put it into high in the same scenario she feels held back like the brakes are on going up a hill! I also from the start of this whole process when turning the engine off from time to time would hear a loud metal bell sound coming from where the drivers seatbelt was, which when checked it out was the rough location of the transfer box was under the surf. Also when cycling through the gears, and stopping on any one part from neutral, the gear would engage but with a jolt so quite harsh, my fathers surf, when doing this was so smooth you wouldn't even know you'd have put it in gear. Plus having just had the gearbox and T/C changed with no change and the same jolt then got me thinking what else could cause that, transfer box! Also the transfer box shares the same ATF which with a collapsed bearing grinding in the transfer box which drives the rear wheels and when on hills with load feels like the brakes are on and not pulling up the hill, will cause the ATF to heat up fairly quick! This the try's to be cooled by the normal radiator on the bottom part of the rad and it not enough, even with a fully functioning system that's new. So the final icing in the cake was coming home the other night from logging and thought I'd confirm it again that it was transfer box, so stopped changed into low moved off effortlessly and no holding back, then changed back into high and part from the holding back it's now started making a bit more noise, of the metal kind that didn't sound good, so can now confirm defo needs changing and was causing the ATF to heat up. Wish I'd know that from the start but then I've had more than my fair share of issues! So I now need at low mileage transfer box. Vince do you have the one that went with that gearbox and TC? I bought from you? If not no worries I can source else where but thought I'd check with you 1st . I am looking for low mileage as this part gets heavy use and these trucks are old, so anyone else has the whole lot that's low mileage as in 100,000 miles TC gearbox and Transfer box then I would be interested. Can't believe I'm on the verge of fixing it ) so all comments welcome especially if you have a transfer box. cheers all and sorry to boar you all with my findings Matt

Comment

Fingers crossed for you mate,
                              I've read through this whole thread and it makes me break out in a sweat just thinking about what could go wrong with my own truck....

Comment

Working...
                              X