Dash warning lights on and alternator not charging enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash warning lights on and alternator not charging enough

Hello all, right i have a confusing problem with my 1990 hilux surf 2.4 diesel manual, When running my lux is bringing the warning lights in the clock clusters on. The battery light stays on, the t-belt light is on and the other that i think is coolant low warning light is on (next to the t-belt light). The other thing is since these lights have started coming on the alternator is only charging around 11.9volts even with all the lights switched on. the battery light being on and the alternator not charging would obviously indicate a faulty alternator but why are the other warning lights on. Could this be a bad earth some where, if so are there any bad earth points on the truck that are prone to corrosion ect.

Please help as i really love this truck and not being able to drive it is getting on my nerves.

p.s.

Sorry i forgot to mention that both the turbo warning lights are on aswell (the red and the green one)

Comment

Warning Lights

The fact that so many lights are on most likely suggests an earth fault on the instrument cluster. To check if the alternator is charging - if you can scrounge a voltmeter place it across the battery terminals with ignition off and nothing turned on. You should see around 13.2volts. (a 12v battery is actually 6 x 2.2v lead acid cells hence 13.2v). Now start up and check again - anything significantly more ie. 14.2v+ should indicate that the alternator is charging OK.
      Alternatively start up and let the engine tick over switch the headlights on then blip the throttle - you should see an increase in brightness which indicates that the alternator is charging.
      If you have other symtoms such as dim headlights etc they would point to a major earth fault - possibly at the battery terminals but what you describe does initially point to the instrument cluster.
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

This seems to be a Surf thing. I drowned my alternator in mud at the same time as having worn out brushes and the dash lit up like a Xmas tree. It could be as simple as the brushes need replacing, something a competent auto electrician should be able to do.
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

alternator

Hi silversurfer, my alternator is only charging 11.9volts all the time, obviously the battery goes flat on a long journey which indicates a faulty alternator, the main confusion is why all the lights are on my instroment pack and not just the battery light

Comment

Dash Warning Lights

Hi Scottidog

My apologies - I should have read your 1st post properly - didn't see that you had already checked the voltages.
            As mentioned by Gamedawn - get the alternator checked - hopefully it is just the brushes/rectifier pack.
            Electronics are generally voltage sensitive - unless the supply voltage is within spec for equipment/sensors etc they can be innaccurate.
            If you give me your Email address I can send you a useful article on Toyota Charging/Alternator systems. It is too big to post to the Forum (approx 850kb) but should give you all the info you need to test the alternator.

Silversurfer

Comment

thanks

that would be fantastic, i am a qualified mechanic/electrician but its just confused me with all the lights been on and not just the battery light, i obviously went for an earth but have ripped the entire truck in bits and theres not a spot of corrsion anywhere (ther reason i bought it)
              my email is scottfletcher594@msn.com

i am very thankful for your help and i think i will pull the alternator apart and have a look inside tomorrow, i just wanted to be sure it was the alternator first as it looks a pretty big job to get the thing off

Comment

Alternator Info

Hi Scottidog

The info is winging it's way to you (hopefully) as I write this
                Hope it helps

Silversurfer

Comment

A faulty Alternator will cause all warning lights in the Surf instrument cluster to light up.

Neville

Comment

thanks guys

Thanks guys i have removed the alternator this morning and im going to take it for reconditioning in the morning, I will let you know how i get on when its all bolted back together again. I'll tell you what though, im a mechanic of 7 years and never have i ever struggled to get an alternator off like i have done with the surf, and ive never seen oil pipes running though the vacuum pump for the servo built on the back either. Japs eh, gotta love em

scottidog

Comment

yes i have it all back together now and its fine, brill.

Comment

HI THERE SILVERSURFER. I HAVE READ YOUR REPLIES TO SCOTTIDOG AND WE ARE HAVING THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS WITH OUR SURF. COULD YOU ALSO SEND US THAT INFO YOU SENT TO SCOTTIDOG. VERY GRATEFUL ALANmargiealan@xtra.co.nz

Comment

Bump

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                          A faulty Alternator will cause all warning lights in the Surf instrument cluster to light up.

Neville
                          Just thought i'd give it a nudge Nev as ya beet me to it !!!!

Salisbury Plain was the culprit for mine being Faulty (Dodgy) water n' all, had an Auto Electrician replace the Brush Pack, only to start again ....
                          2 weeks later,Kaput for good this time !!!!!
                          Normal service was resumed after obtaining another Alternator, one of Five different types I might add .............

There's always a Payback .... You just don't see it Comin !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

HI, had the same problem with my dash looking like a christmas tree. turned out to be a dead simple repair, the wire from the battery to the alternator had corroded inside its sleeve, this showed 11.9v when tested, just replaced the wire with new and was back to working 100%, hope this helps.
                            tha dunt ger owt fa nowt

Comment

hmm mine is doing this now (drowned in mud) need to decide on repair or replacement.
                              Tim
                              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X