Towbar wiring - again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towbar wiring - again!

I fitted a Towequipe towbar to my 2nd Gen Surf at the weekend - very well made and easy to fit.

Now I know it's been covered before - but I'm still a bit confused when it comes to the wiring.

From what I can work out from using the search tool on here, I'm I right in thinking that it's just a matter of running conntections/wires between the main towbar cable and the corresponding various wires in the rear light clusters?

The towbar also comes with a an audable alarm (which I'm told has to be fitted - by law). Do all the componants run to this box (as it seems to have a number of wire coming out of it) or is it just one connection?

The electical instructions are a bit vague

Want to have a crack at this myself if I can.

Cheers,

Paul

Yes, the towbar should just connect to earth (chassis) and the rear light cluster connections (and also rear foglight if you want to wire it up fully).

The audible alarm thing will have an earth (just connect to chassis) and then your indicator wires from clusters connect to it, then the other wires from the alarm box connect to the towbar indicator wires. You should have 2 pairs of wires for your left/right indicators and an earth. Basically it just means when you have something connected to the tow wiring you will get a beep when you indicate (I guess to help remind you you are towing when turning corners).
    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Thanks for that mate, I'll give it a go.

Comment

I did mine yesterday ,It only took an hour.
        Use the diagram out of the single electrics.You might have to trace a few wires back to ther bulbs ,but shouldnt take you long.
        I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

mine didnt have a wiring diagram so i used the one off here and binned the bleeper. did i do a bad thing?
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

The bleeper thing is easy to fit
            You just connect it to the towing wire first and then the wires in the lamp cluster

Red - tail lights
            Blue - fog light
            orange - left indicator
            Grey - right indicator
            White - earth
            Black - brake lights

and as it said above i think it is required chillit and so you did do wrong.
            I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

i am a bad person...
              the bleepin bleeper has
              black earth?
              grey
              green
              orange
              yellow
              any clues?
              i got quite enough bleeping goin on in there, and i will know if theres a trailer on cos of the temp gauge freaking out...
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Hi Chillit, I've got the bleeper diagram at home, I have a look tonight and let you know what it says, is yours a Towequipe one?

When wiring both sides up, did you just run single wires from each componant in the cluster across the back to link up to main towbar cable. My main cable comes up in the driver side back corner of the boot.

I guess I can route the wires under the boot carpet or the thin trim panel under the tailgate?

Comment

i got my wires on the nearside, cos that where a bar had been wired before, with indicator wire under the carpet. it is towequipe. good arent they?
                  thanks for the help
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Yep, really well made and pretty easy to fit too.

Comment

and also cheap! on their sale list just as i needed one. sweet!
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Chillit,

According to my diagram it's as follows:

Orange on bleeper - L/H Indicator
                        Slate on Bleeper - R/H Indicator
                        White or Black on Bleeper - Earth

Paul

Comment

ta very much more beeping..
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

never heard of an officer of the law sticking his head into a vehicle to see if your bleepers work but you never now
                            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

i was thinking that... and i wasnt planning to take the trailer in when she needs an mot...
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X