X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattle from front

hi guys and girls.
    please can you help?
    i got a rattle from somewhere in the front when driving over bumps in the road and drains.been trying to avoid them cause the rattle is doing my head in.been underneath to look for rattle but cant find anything wrong.
    any help would be helpfull.
    thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    its a 1995 model ssrx.3.0.manual model
    thanks again
    mark.

check the bottom shock absorber bushes, if they are worn like mine (Jon stop laughing) then you may get a clonking/rattle as there is no/little rubber.

you might be able to check by trying to twist/pull the shock in situe.
    Attached Files
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

It might sound daft, but check your front bash plate is bolted up tight.
      Mike G

Comment

Mine doeas the same, abd only after new disc's and pads were fitted!!!! Noting seems loose and ive got new bushes.....doh
        3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Check the anti roll bar mounts, and exhaust mounts.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks

thanks guys for the response.i will check out everything that you have mentioned.
            mark.

Comment

I have this problem too. I've crawled around underneath and never found anything yet - i suspect its a suspension component somewhere that is getting loaded and unloaded as you go over bumps. Sloppy shock mounts sounds a good bet. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Kev

Comment

Found it :-(

Well, I've been out again and I think I've found it - not sure how serious it is.

There is rotational play in the front o/s drive shaft - the noise is coming from within the hub. I'm assuming that this is a splined joint in the hub so its either worked very loose or it's the cv joint on the wheel end of the shaft I guess.

Can anyone confirm this or have any other ideas. Is it normal for the shaft to be a bit loose like this? (he said hopefully)

Kev

Comment

Same here dude, when i push front wheel back and forth there is a clunk for the hub area. So this must be where the loud noise comes form when driving!! So its into the garage again, i'd assume that theres a bearing or similar thats not seated corectly as 4wd seems fine.

Comment

Interestingly, I also had new discs and pads fitted a while ago. Is there some special knack to re-assembling the hub?

Kev

Comment

Just been to the garage and the rattle is coming from the brake pads. So this will have to be investigated further.

Comment

I get the same thing. On mine its the front drive shafts that move side to side and make a metal on metal (like a loose drian cover ) noise. If you try driving in 4x4 the noise goes away on mine (off-road obviously!) Haven't looked into fixing as its not gonna affect much else and after the head, block and turbo costs I'm skint!!!

Try the 4x4 test on yours. If its the same noise it'll go. If its anything else it'll still be there offroad.

Cheers
                        Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

front end rattle

i know the answer to your problem i had the same rattle it took me 12 months to find it inside your front disk is an inner and outer BRONZE BUSH thet are worn you can get replacements from milners £25-£30 there a bit of a sod to get out but it will cure your rattle
                          [COLOR=red][FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3]chill-out

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
                            I get the same thing. On mine its the front drive shafts that move side to side and make a metal on metal (like a loose drian cover ) noise. If you try driving in 4x4 the noise goes away on mine (off-road obviously!) Haven't looked into fixing as its not gonna affect much else and after the head, block and turbo costs I'm skint!!!

Try the 4x4 test on yours. If its the same noise it'll go. If its anything else it'll still be there offroad.

Cheers
                            Treied the test and your right, i have ordered the bronze bushes......cheers

Comment

Had mine in for a service today and asked them to check this noise out. The reply was not to worry about it. But I think I'll follow up the bronze bush theory.

Interestingly, the loan Surf that they gave me for the day made the same noise - and yes it goes when you select 4WD. Must be pretty common I think.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                              X