What a Kerfuffle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a Kerfuffle!

I have just changed both headlight bulbs, and both brake light bulbs, in the words of Little Brittain "What a kerfuffle!" those headlight bulbs are to do!

Jeezz,
    1)
    Remove both batterys
    (Hah! if only I had a socket set this would be easy!)
    Skin both knuckles on the valance un-doing the retaining bar nuts, and gently cook right hand when poz terminal and spanner arc to ground!

2)
    Remove Washer fluid bottle, and radiator expansion tank
    Umm wires too short to remove per- say, but can move to the battery area, oh damnnn, emptied both in the process, now grass is swampy, and the antifreeze is stinging the grazed knuckles.

3)
    Remove air intake shield on nearside to access back of headlamp,
    Ok, one bolt in view, one hidden, and found just before suicide occours.
    Now have nice slice to right hand, due to spanner greasy from battery terminals slipping off the in-acessable nut and gashing hand on god only knows what.

4)
    Ignore laughter from builders doing loft conversion

5)
    Unscrew plastic ring, to access the rubber bulb bellow type cover thingy
    Yeah right, its getting dark now, and the Maglight is chipping my front teeth!
    The drivers side bonnet release cable is getting in the way, the grease from the battery terminals helps aid the gashing of left hand on something else, the builders are splitting their sides now!

6)
    Remove rubber bellows thingy that covers the bulb access.
    In future I shall un-plug the bulb wires first, then the burns to fingers whils re-soldering the plug on would not have occoured!

7)
    Release spring clip that retains the bulb.
    Like I said its now dark, the Maglight has tooth prints in it, my jaw hurts, the gag reflex is cutting in, and the frikking clip is a sod when fingers are too greasy.

8)
    Remove and replace bulb
    Ta blinking Dah!

9)
    Un-do steps one to nine above!
    Ah now the air intake filter thingy is plain refusing to go back, I have no more screen wash, I drop the bolt that holds the washer bottle, it lands with a plop into the mud I have created, hands and knee in mud with torch in teeth, batterys die, builders now in hysterics, I knock the bonnet stay whilst groping in mud, bonnet catch had been re-positioned whilst I re-assembled the Battery restraint on passenger side, now I think I may have broken some fingers here! Builder one falls from ladder, and does not mind one bit, they have as many tears as me running down faces, but their smiles are real.

10)
    Last bolt back, batteries re-connected, engine starts, right hand headlight fails to come on.
    Builders start howling, clutching at sides, unable to make verbal communication.
    I howl clutch at fingers, and likewise am unable to make verbal communication.

11)
    Kicking the bullbars brings right hand headlight to life, poss breaks right big toe, No way am I giving the builders the satisfaction of showing pain.

12)
    Change brake light bulbs within 50 sec of starting.

Job done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Now where can I find the address of the nice person that designed the headlight bulb access

Thank you Tony (aka the good Dr Anglegrinder) for your advice, If I find that removing the grille and headlights would have been easier, I may not but you that pint.
    Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

that got me p155ing myself
    sorry but you have just cheered me up for the night.
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Hehe, and you still managed to type all that for us, that's dedication.
      As a point of interest, it takes less than 5 minutes to change the head light bulbs on a 3rd gen and you only need to remove one nut!
      Oh, and a 1st gen is even quicker!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
        As a point of interest, it takes less than 5 minutes to change the head light bulbs on a 3rd gen and you only need to remove one nut!
        'remove one nut' is that the one you find behind the wheel/??/??

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
          STEERING wheel
          sorrery sorry i have lost it 2nite

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally

Comment

As much as I'd hate to see TonyN lose out on a beer, taking off the grill is much quicker and it's then just four easily accessable bolts to get each headlamp out. Took me all of 20 mins to replace both front bulbs on mine.
              Mike G

Comment

had me cracking up by number 9- good job Im not drinking anything!
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                  As much as I'd hate to see TonyN lose out on a beer, taking off the grill is much quicker and it's then just four easily accessable bolts to get each headlamp out. Took me all of 20 mins to replace both front bulbs on mine.

Oh how I wish I could find an expletive that would be sufficently offensive

Builders turned up a few minutes ago, cheery smiles and asked "could I find something else on my car to fix coz it was so damn funny last night!?"

I figure I have sugar in the house, and the diesel cap on their transit is not locked

The realy sad thing is that Last week I had to replace the fuel system on a pair of 250 Thornycroft Diesels on our school boat. Not a problem, even the fuel pumps! Just goes to show, the right tools and lighting can make a difference.

Dammn now I am blaming my tools

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog
                    Oh how I wish I could find an expletive that would be sufficently offensive

Builders turned up a few minutes ago, cheery smiles and asked "could I find something else on my car to fix coz it was so damn funny last night!?"

I figure I have sugar in the house, and the diesel cap on their transit is not locked

The realy sad thing is that Last week I had to replace the fuel system on a pair of 250 Thornycroft Diesels on our school boat. Not a problem, even the fuel pumps! Just goes to show, the right tools and lighting can make a difference.

Dammn now I am blaming my tools
                    Forget the sugar - use a hosepipe and fill your tank

Trev (ps can you swap my bulbs please ?)

Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                      Forget the sugar - use a hosepipe and fill your tank

Trev (ps can you swap my bulbs please ?)

Oh yes, no problems there, bring a socket set and daylight, the builders are up in the scaffolding, waiting for a giggle!

p.s. You do not mention what you wish to swap them with, I recon a couple of carrots would look good

All the best,
                      GTdog

Comment

"Forget the sugar - use a hosepipe and fill your tank"

Knowing his luck the builders will be running on red
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                          yep thats true but the reversing light is a bugger,one of mine has been out for ages and still no one has been round to replace it.
                          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog
                            Oh yes, no problems there, bring a socket set and daylight, the builders are up in the scaffolding, waiting for a giggle!

p.s. You do not mention what you wish to swap them with, I recon a couple of carrots would look good

All the best,
                            GTdog

Might just work...well your always told as a kid that carrots help you see in the dark.

We will all have to call you knuckles from now on LOL
                            Gaz

Comment

At least now you know what's coming when a headlight bulb blows on the missus's car.

Trev

PS if it happens soon get chairs and charge the builders for the show
                              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                              X