Google:
Yahoo:
MSN:

Home Surf FAQ

Go Back   Hilux Surf Forum > HILUX SURF FORUMS - TECHNICAL > 2.4 & 2.8

Old 22nd December 2005, 16:56   #1
jpjjoshua

Unhappy Keeps going into fail safe mode

Can any one offer some advice on my 1991 2.4 SSR Auto box problem?

Sympoms: Intermitent problem of the gearbox going into fail safe and only limping along as if trying to pull away in second gear, eventually as engine speed picks up reasonable speed can be achieved. Also no kick down and switching between 3rd and 4th gear and back again when accelerating.

Things tried so far: Fluid level check. New fuel filters. Solonoids under sump removed cleaned and checked by garage. Throttle switch replaced.

Things which confuse me: Diagnostics show an error code 11 which my searches show up as a switch error but what the hell does that mean?
Problem is also intermitent, although getting more and more frequent. Sometimes she drives fine and then all of a sudden no power to pull away! O/D Off light flashes when the problem occurs and always shows the same error code up.

Then only things which have been touched are a new switch for the big yellow accessory front lights on bull bar and a radio has been installed using the correct factory fitted plug. The speedo did stop working once on the motorway but has been fine since. A new radiator has been fitted and I need a new water pump soon as it is also leaking. Finally the Handbrake warning light came on all by itself whilst driving again on the motorway. I dont know if these are anything to do with the problem but I thought all the info might provide some clues.

Before you say anything I know Mud is better than tarmac but needs must occaisionally. I would love to get to the bottom of this as apart from this problem the truck is beautiful. Can anyone help???
jpjjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:02   #2
MattF
Banned

Vehicle: Austin Gipsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjjoshua
Things which confuse me: Diagnostics show an error code 11 which my searches show up as a switch error but what the hell does that mean?

If you search the archives, I seem to remember there being quite an indepth posting on ECU diagnostics and codes, at some point.

Matt
MattF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:10   #3
BUSHWHACKER
Professor

Vehicle: 1996 2.7. 2001 2.7. 1994 LS400.

Disconnect your battery or both batteries if you have two, for half an hour then re-connect. This will reset the ECU.
Old 22nd December 2005, 23:07   #4
jpjjoshua

Thanks guys for getting back to me. Unfortunately I have been searching the forum history quite thoroughly and all I can find on ecu diagnostic codes is that 11 is a "switch sign". i have no idea what switch sign means??
I have disconnected the battery and you are right it does clear the code but of course 10 mins down the road when the lazy problem cuts back in the code returns as the ecu has re-registered the re-occuring fault.
Any more help???
Old 22nd December 2005, 23:13   #5
BUSHWHACKER
Professor

Some other codes here that may help you...

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html
Old 22nd December 2005, 23:44   #6
jpjjoshua

Thanks Vince and others I appreciate your time. I have seen this link before. If a/c is air conditioning circuit I cant see thats got anything to do with the gearbox shift...or could it? And what is "tps/circuit" Can a novice check connections etc in the Ecu? if so how?
Old 23rd December 2005, 15:11   #7
jpjjoshua

I found out tps/circuit is throtle position switch. How likely is it that this needs adjusting or replacing?
Old 23rd December 2005, 15:37   #8
BUSHWHACKER
Professor

Some more info.
http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...20Location.pdf
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:47   #9
jpjjoshua

Thanks for the link....very handy. I'll check all the connections just in case.
If any more ideas keep 'em comming.
Old 24th December 2005, 13:01   #10
Woodzie

Vehicle: Deceased ssrx LN130 2.4td auto

It was on a link to the australian surf sight and it was about the o/d light flashing and codes

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
HTML code is Off
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On