How To - Remote Central Locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To - Remote Central Locking

Done today in between rain showers. Only requires connection to the Toyota Door Control Unit, so only requires removal of a single piece of dash trim and is very neat and straightforward. This is how it went.

The Remote Central Locking Unit (RCLU) kit is made by 'Cyclone' and was bought on eBay for £20-odd. It seems fairly generic, so this will probably apply to a lot of kits, and if not, could easily be adapted.

This unit has 'active high' outputs to drive the plunger actuators, however, the Toyota requires 'active low'. I spent some time with the unit in bits investigating the possibility of getting active low outputs from the relays, but this unti doesn't allow for it. (Some units do). This is no big deal.

1) Throw away the plunger actuators, or keep for another use if you are the imaginative sort.

2) Cut back all of the cables attached to your RCLU except the ones required. You only need the slave plunger outputs (ie, a back door), +12v and 0v. This is four wires in total. 'Open', 'Close', +12v and 0v.

2) Buy a couple of small single pole automotive relays. I got a pair from Halfords. It's Sunday and nowhere else is open.

3) Connect the relays as per the circuit diagram attached and glue them to the top of the RCLU. Now you have active low outputs which suits the Toyota.

4) Connect 12v to the system (I used a bench supply in my workshop) and check that the outputs of the relay RL1 has continuity to earth briefly when 'lock' is pressed on the remote blipper, and RL2 follows suit when 'unlock' is pressed. If all is correct (and it's very likely) then proceed to your vehicle!

5) Remove The lower dash panel under the steering column. Remove also the drivers side speaker unit.

6) You will see a small black box on a bracket. This is the Toyota Door Control Unit. Remove the bracket, disconnect the unit and put it to one side. You now have a black connector.

7) Strip back the loom tape by about 4" to give access to the cables.

8) Scotchlock (or your favorite connection method) the wires from the new unit to this loom as per the circuit diagram. Refer to the colour code!

12v = White / red (thickish cable)
    Lock = Red / white (thin cable)
    Unlock = Red / yellow (thin cable)

9) Connect 0v to a handy earth point. There is one just to the right of the speaker unit location.

10) There are a few places to fit the new box. Just choose a location that doesn't get in the way of anything! Tidy your new wiring with cable ties.

11) Press the blipper and your locks will open and close like magic!

I am planning adding to the unit so you get a single 'beep' on locking, and several 'beeps' on opening, and a red LED on the dash when the vehicle is locked. I'll post details when its done.

Hope this is helpful to someone!
    Attached Files
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Excellent!! This is on my 'to do' list. It's nice when someone else does all the working out for me!

Comment

Remote Central Locking

Thanks for the great information, if i'd have stuck to the instructions supplied I would have smashed the unit into a thousand peices.

Have you managed to get the lights flashing when locking/unlocking, if so could you let me know. As i have tried and tried, to no avail

Thanks

Comment

just read this again... apache, does this replace the door control box? i have just got hold of a set of locks and door looms for my truck, but no control box with it..
        if this is done without the original box, i can stop messing about hassling the seller for a box and procede directly to remote central lockin.. bonus!
        i think i'm even more confused now..
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by storm rider
          Thanks for the great information, if i'd have stuck to the instructions supplied I would have smashed the unit into a thousand peices.

Have you managed to get the lights flashing when locking/unlocking, if so could you let me know. As i have tried and tried, to no avail

Thanks
          Haven't looked at it yet, been busy with barbecues / world cup / flying etc. The one I bought doesn't have that facility built in, but the one I bought for the missus car does. Post a scan of the diagram of your unit and I'll check out if it has that feature.

Comment

keyless entry

I fitted my keyless entry today with help from a mate who has more savvy than me but we can't get it to work with the keyfob. if we take a wire off the relay and put it back on all doors open and vice versa with the other relay. so we are taking it that the wiring is ok. Drivers door only opens with key. I have included photo's of the instructions which i find a problem. anyones help would be much appreciated..

Comment

Been watching those units on flea-bay lately, Linda's factory remote died long ago, would be nice to have one again.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by gaffer39
                I fitted my keyless entry today with help from a mate who has more savvy than me but we can't get it to work with the keyfob. if we take a wire off the relay and put it back on all doors open and vice versa with the other relay. so we are taking it that the wiring is ok. Drivers door only opens with key. I have included photo's of the instructions which i find a problem. anyones help would be much appreciated..
                Sounds like the driver door solonoid is broken. Does it work from the button on the door panel?
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Have you programmed the remote?

With mine, you have to switch on/off the ignition three times, leave it switched on the third time then the indicators will flash once then you have to press one of the buttons on the remote so that it 'learns' the code.

Hope this helps.

p.s.you should have more wiring diagrams than that, got any more you can show?

Out of about eight wires, I only needed two of them for the lock/un-lock.
                  Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 30 December 2006, 21:31.

Comment

keyless entry

thanks mate i tried that but still nothing. I have enclosed the wiring diagram thats on the back of the book, but you would be aswell explaining it to my 4 year old son. my last post included the instructions for the programming but how do you "short circuit the pins for the code learning socket , the parking lights will be on"...........I'm not even hooked up to the parking lights...You would think they would make it easier for us numpties.

Comment

The diagram that applies to the Surf is circled in the photo, and is the same as mine.

I'll take a pic of mine in the morning and post it here so you can see what to connect to where.

Comment

Thanks vince look forward to seeing it. I'm going for a beer now cause my head is nippin.

Comment

Thanks vince look forward to seeing it. I'm going for a beer now cause my head is nippin.

Right. Assuming you know where the door control relay box is.....( Drivers side, lower dash behind speaker)

Pull off the multiplug from the control box and look for two thin wires, one is red with a white stripe, the other is red with yellow stripe.

Out of the six wires coming from your new alarm/locking module, the white wire with the black stripe connects onto the red wire with the yellow stripe.

The plain white wire connects onto the red wire with the white stripe.

The yellow and yellow with black stripe wires from you new module connect to an earth point on the truck.

The side light wire connects to the side light wiring on the truck, you'll need to remove one of your side lights to see what colour the wire is ( I can't rember 'cos my side lights are the indicators now!) then connect into it at the multiplug on the steering column.

I've attatched a little diagram for the lock/un-lock wires that you connect into......

Comment

keyless entry

Thanks mate......Will see how i get on in the next couple of days.. I have the mother of all hangovers and we're off out tonight again...Will let you know.. Happy new year to you and your family.

Comment

Was just about to suggest you pop over and I'll sort it for you - then I noticed where you were!

Comment

Working...
                              X