Intercooler fitted !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler fitted !

Well I got up bright & early & fiited an L200 intercooler to my 2.4 Surf.
    I decided to fit it on the side so that I could use a side scoop (L200).
    I removed the airbox, boost pipe etc. Fitted the intercooler using some brackets to the wing mounts. I had some pipes with the IC which, with the cunning use of a hacksaw I could re use, along with some lengths of exhaust pipe (45mm) & some reducers. All I needed to buy was the IC, reducers, a couple of jubilee clips, a fandango air filter and some pipe for the breather.
    The only downside so far is the noise from said air filter. I think I will run a pipe across the engine bay & mount it under the IC, which I hope will take the edge off the racket !
    Ive drilled the bonnet ready to cut the hole out but I bought the wrong jigsaw blades, so will do that tomorrow, Oh & buy a scoop !
    Will post more pics when finished.
    And all this without a body lift
    Apologies for the size of pics but I left my camera on the higher setting, so I cant download using the software here
    Steve

Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Good man, excellent work!
    I'll be fitting an air filter like that, but I think I'll build a cool box for it in place of the battery on that side now you've confirmed my thoughts about noise. Is it really that bad?

Comment

Top job!! i like the air filter arrangement, does away with that crossover pipe Now to mutilate the bonnet
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        I'll be fitting an air filter like that, but I think I'll build a cool box for it in place of the battery on that side now you've confirmed my thoughts about noise. Is it really that bad?
        Absolutely awful unless of course your a fan of The fast & the furious films

Comment

Originally posted by javars
          Absolutely awful unless of course your a fan of The fast & the furious films

Worst car films ever made!

Comment

nice work!

i wanted to fit mine there but I dont want to change the filter box to an induction type so im still going to try the middle... mind you ave been driving a new golf for the last couple of weeks on holiday and the surf feels like an old barge in comparison - im sure if i get it muddy it will be fine!
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Well I got up bright & early & fiited an L200 intercooler to my 2.4 Surf
              Oh & buy a scoop ![/IMG]
              Hello,

Well done Steve, yet another solution to the 'where to mount it?' issue.

If you're looking for a scoop these guys - http://www.thorntonbreakers.co.uk/ - are excellent, ask for James.

You certainly won't have any pressure drop from the induction to the turbo - that is direct!

Post finished pics ASAP.

Regards
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Thanks Boyo !
                We have a Mitsubishi dealer about half a mile from here, will pop up tomorrow & try & get a deal !

Comment

Airbox racket now sorted with a long pipe & filter mounted under intercooler, with no loss of power

Comment

Great job... what sort of performance increases have you noticed... also just thinking... where you have your air intake (large filter), if all works -- the intake might just suck air through the intercooler from the bonnet scoop.. ...maybe you could fashion a housing so that the air filter has to get its air throught the intercooler radiator via your bonnet scoop which might cool the intercooler even more as well as providing cool air to the air filter... hope that makes sense....... anyhow great job
                    Last edited by Vultch; 30 August 2006, 21:40.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
                      Great job... what sort of performance increases have you noticed... also just thinking... where you have your intake, if all works -- the intake might just suck air through the intercooler from the bonnet scoop.. ...maybe fashion a scoop so that the air filter has to get its air throught the intercooler radiator via your bonnet scoop which might cool the intercooler even more.... anyhow great job
                      As Mr Boyo from Wales said. Its a hell of a lot smoother at speed, and seems to hold the gear longer up hill, Ive never towed with this one but would imagine it will have improved
                      For how long it took, It was well worth it. Will post with my colour co ordinated scoop fitted.................now where did I put that wet n dry ?

Comment

For how long it took, It was well worth it. Will post with my colour co ordinated scoop fitted.................now where did I put that wet n dry ?
                        Well done Steve - I've left my scoop the wrong colour to make it show up more - how sad is that, eh?

I was thinking that induction hose was a little long, but probably no more so than fitting a snorkle - some of them go around the houses.

Regards
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                          Well done Steve - I've left my scoop the wrong colour to make it show up more - how sad is that, eh?

I was thinking that induction hose was a little long, but probably no more so than fitting a snorkle - some of them go around the houses.

Regards
                          Get the paint out ! Less is more
                          At the end of the day all an induction hose does is give the the turbo air as req, so as long as theres no restriction, within reason it doesnt matter how long it is.

Comment

Absolutely!
                            What hose did you use, looks good.
                            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 31 August 2006, 09:13.

Comment

Abolutely!
                              What hose did you use, looks good.
                              Its heat proof upto 150c, 50mm od 45mm id. Bought from my wifes uncle whos business is Western Hose & Industrial in Weston Super Mare, Somerset
                              Its wired in the flutes.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X