MSN:

Home Surf FAQ

Go Back   Hilux Surf Forum > HILUX SURF FORUMS - TECHNICAL > 2.4 & 2.8

Old 10th September 2003, 03:02   #1
chrisykn850

Default losing coolant no.2

part No.1
Hi all
I have a 90 Hilux Surf 2.4 TD with 120,000 miles and have been losing / using coolant. The temperature gauge reaches half way and never ever climbs further. I have to top the reservoir tank from empty after about 400 miles.
No obvious signs of leaks / drips etc.

Any ideas ? If not I guess it'll be a garage trip.

Thanks

Chris

after some info from the group, I had a good look at it and was alarmed to find that the tube for expanded coolant to flow along from the engine into the plastic expansion chamber is not long enough to reach the bottom of the chamber (only half way). So even though I have been filling up with fluid (to the full level on the expansion chamber), the engine as it cools could only suck in a small amount of fluid until the fluid level drops to the bottom of the hose and the hose is out of the fluid, so in theory the engine coolant level in the engine could be very low but the expansion bottle shows half full. Are other surfs this way ?

will keep my eye on it and get pressure check at garage, will look for longer hose also.

strange how the temp gauge never goes above half way, will get that checked too

Chris
chrisykn850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 11:19   #2
Hilux
Contributor

Angry losing coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisykn850
part No.1
Hi all
I have a 90 Hilux Surf 2.4 TD with 120,000 miles and have been losing / using coolant. The temperature gauge reaches half way and never ever climbs further. I have to top the reservoir tank from empty after about 400 miles.
No obvious signs of leaks / drips etc.

Any ideas ? If not I guess it'll be a garage trip.

Thanks

Chris

after some info from the group, I had a good look at it and was alarmed to find that the tube for expanded coolant to flow along from the engine into the plastic expansion chamber is not long enough to reach the bottom of the chamber (only half way). So even though I have been filling up with fluid (to the full level on the expansion chamber), the engine as it cools could only suck in a small amount of fluid until the fluid level drops to the bottom of the hose and the hose is out of the fluid, so in theory the engine coolant level in the engine could be very low but the expansion bottle shows half full. Are other surfs this way ?

will keep my eye on it and get pressure check at garage, will look for longer hose also.

strange how the temp gauge never goes above half way, will get that checked too

Chris

But that does not explain the loss of coolant.
Bob "Hilux"
Hilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 12:01   #3
bundubasher

Sounds the same as what happend to me in '02, I changed the pipes & thermostat; had the thing pressure & chemical tested and everything was negative so I finally had the head pulled and they diagnosed "porousity".

From my diary 12.06.02:

UK Cylinder heads say they will recondition my vehicle's head and warranty it for 12 months for 400. They also said they have had quite a few 1KZ-T heads in and the main problem, cracking behind no.1 valve, is caused by overheating. This they say can be remedied by replacing the radiator which obviously gets gummed up after time. The total cost of a recon head, new head set, new head gasket, new head bolts and new radiator plus labour and VAT is 1200.

So I gritted my teeth and had the work done and can say all's well except for a bit of overheating when I've got a full load on and I'm pulling a caravan. I'm now looking at a bonnet vent of some kind to help keep the engine cool.
Old 10th September 2003, 12:12   #4
NiftyNev

Check the expansion tank for any leaks.If it is ok you are loosing coolant somewhere else.Check all hose connections and radiator.Also check the water pump for any leakage.If nothing is obvious have the cooling system pressure tested.

Neville
NiftyNev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 12:47   #5
Billy-knu

Wink Possible temporary solution...

Same has just happened to my 1992 2.4TD. In an attempt to save money temporarily I have put Radweld in the radiator - problem solved! Not loosing coolant anymore. I'm sure this is a v.temporary solution - but they dont call me Mr. Bodge-it for nothing. (in fact they dont call me that)(but probably soon will) Cheap experiment though!
Old 16th September 2009, 21:33   #6
fonecrusher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-knu View Post
Same has just happened to my 1992 2.4TD. In an attempt to save money temporarily I have put Radweld in the radiator - problem solved! Not loosing coolant anymore. I'm sure this is a v.temporary solution - but they dont call me Mr. Bodge-it for nothing. (in fact they dont call me that)(but probably soon will) Cheap experiment though!
Well he says its a temporary solution? Why is radweld a bad idea?
fonecrusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 21:39   #7
Bibs

How many years?
Old 16th September 2009, 22:37   #8
sv1000spilot

What's the record I wonder for the oldest post dragged back to life
sv1000spilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 22:57   #9
That Ruddy Squirrel
That Ruddy Squirrel

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1000spilot View Post
What's the record I wonder for the oldest post dragged back to life
We need a new set of awards, DOTW, DOTM, & DOTY

Someones asking for Dredger of the Year
Old 16th September 2009, 22:59   #10
wishbone

It's catch 22 isn't it ?

If he'd asked about radweld he'd be told to search....

If he searches and posts a Q on an old thread he gets told to post a new thread.

Rob.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote