Oh Boy Two Car Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Boy Two Car Batteries

I have the feeling that this is a dumb question but ive just noticed I have two car batteries, does this mean there in sequence and everything is 24v if so what do I do about stereos and amps and all that ???? HELP !!!!!!

12 V batteries are in pararell. japs have lots of toys added so the extra battery compensates for this
    Last edited by marky; 28 January 2004, 10:13.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

So does that mean its 24v or not and if not does it make a difference which battery I run things to ?

Comment

Originally posted by Surf Bum
        So does that mean its 24v or not and if not does it make a difference which battery I run things to ?
        its a 12volt system not 24 volt. try and keep all toys etc runnining off the same battery. leave other battery for normal electrics, ensure reasonable ampage cable is used and were neccessary use a relay or inline fuses to protect from shorts etc
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Thanks allot mate !!!!

Comment

The two batteries is an option on the Surf (I think it is called the winter pack and also comes with the rear heater). They are wired in parallel so they are both used for all functions. By having two batteries it enabled Toyota to use cheaper and smaller batteries and still provide the required CCA (I think 700amps) to start the Diesel engines. Diesel engines are harder to start than petrol engines dues to the much higher compression ratios.

When adding accessories the only reason for chosing one battery or the other is to make it easier to run the cables and to keep the terminals tidy.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
              The two batteries is an option on the Surf (I think it is called the winter pack and also comes with the rear heater). They are wired in parallel so they are both used for all functions. By having two batteries it enabled Toyota to use cheaper and smaller batteries and still provide the required CCA (I think 700amps) to start the Diesel engines. Diesel engines are harder to start than petrol engines dues to the much higher compression ratios.

When adding accessories the only reason for chosing one battery or the other is to make it easier to run the cables and to keep the terminals tidy.

Cheers
              @ Koi,
              The above reply from Andy sums it up perfectly imho! Possibly one for the FAQ section??
              Pete

Comment

Nice one yeah I have that heater in the rear as well so thanks everyone, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                  @ Koi,
                  The above reply from Andy sums it up perfectly imho! Possibly one for the FAQ section??
                  Pete

Agree, it is done.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                    @ Koi,
                    Pete
                    Thanks Pete, for once I wasn't talking out of my hole.

Cheers

Comment

Two batteries - The answer

Just so that y'all know:

In Japan, there is a thing called 'Northern spec' for most makes of cars. This is not a factory option or anything but simply means cars sold in Northern area of Japan where snow and sub zero temperatures are common in the winter. In a way, it is like having a 'Scottish spec' if it is in UK. Those cars are generally equipped with larger batteries, thicker carpets, rear foglights and winter fighting gadgets such as this button here to keep the idling high to maintain the heatings. But the confusing thing is they also have a thing called, 'snow version' which is a factory option pack and can be specified during ordering to cars which are non Northern spec, or in other words cars sold in areas other than the Scotland equivalent of Japan, Hokkaido. In such cases, not all but certain features available to Northern spec can chosen. So any spec can be Northern spec if it was originally sold in Northern part of Japan. Equally, any spec can have snow version if it was originally sold in areas other than the north. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find the info to compare the difference of Northern spec and ordinary ones.

It all seems a bit like offering add-ons for the sake of it to me, but I guess that we benefit because we ge to buy the vehicles fully loaded and don't have to pay for all of the toys?

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Good info Rob. You have made me realise that mine is northern spec. The snow chains and ski rack should have been a clue!
                        As well as all the above I have a heated drivers seat, heated mirrors and looking in the fuse box, under the bonnet, I see I have a Diesel fuel preheater fuse fitted. Does that mean I can run on straight veggie? Sorry, digressing again.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Purely 12dc As They Are In Parellel. Consider Yourself Lucky You Have Em. Out Here In The Outback (australia), You Never Know When One Of Ya Mates Battery Is Going To Go Flat. Nothing Feels Better Than Jump Starting A Massive Landcruiser With The Compact Surf!!!!
                          BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Comment

Heated seat??

You lucky swine, has anyone else got a heated seat? I have never heard those mentioned on here before. Where is the switch, maybe we have all got one!!

There are a couple of people on here who are running on various veggie/diesel mixes, I have no doubt that they will be along any second to extol the virtues. You could always try searching the forum? I do recall that the lower winter temperatures caused problems with the thicker oil, and clogging the filters, so if you have a diesel pre-heater then it seems like you have the best of all worlds.

Heated mirrors too?.....it gets worse....sob

Cheers

Rob G
                            Last edited by wibblywobbly; 8 February 2004, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                              .... I see I have a Diesel fuel preheater fuse fitted. Does that mean I can run on straight veggie? Sorry, digressing again.

I'm think not, the preheater fitted is unlikely to be large enough on its own to heat the vegoil sufficiently to reduce its viscosity to that od diesel. I don't know if it is turned on by a temp switch or is on continuously, to provide assistance in running on vegoil it would need to be on permanantly.
                              Having said that, the surf seems to run happily on a 50/50 mix, if the preheater is on all the time, or can be safely modified to run all the time, it may assist in running higher ratios of vegoil, the only way to tell is to experiment.....
                              Maurice
                              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                              X