Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viscous fan service

good morning

Has anyone got any information on servicing the viscous fan? how to dismantle and the oil to be used

Many thanks

Chris.

Have a peek in the modifications section. There's a thread there, within the first couple of pages, that has all the info you require. ( Hello Vince ). In fact, here's the link. Have fun. http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24232

Comment

78 FJ40 2F fan clutch assembly

Fan clutch with silicone fluid

Use an impact screwdriver to remove the philips screws

Separate the two half's and be careful not to damage the O-ring. The O-ring always seems to get stretched out

The manual says to use 50mL of 3000Cst. silicone fluid to refill the fan clutch. Each bottle is 18mL. Toyota P/N 08816-03001

After cleaning out all of the old silicone from the fan clutch half's, add about 50mL of silicone to the lower half of the clutch. This should be just enough to fill the holes and not overflow into the O-ring groove

The fan clutch is full of silicone and the O-ring is in the back half of the groove. Note how the O-ring has stretched. Some people cut out a small section of the O-ring and super glue it back together, but I didn't do that......

I placed the top of the clutch on the back of the O-ring and used a small flat blade screwdriver to push the O-ring back into it's groove. You must apply some pressure on the top piece to prevent the O-ring from popping out of the groove

Reinstall the outer philips screws to secure the cover, install the fan, and you are all done.

Source:

http://www.off-road.com/~estegall/te...fanclutch.html

Comment

Cheers for that looks like a job for the weekend.

Chris

Comment

Just found out that mine is working in the wrong way round, stiff (ish) when cold and slack when warm, good simple to follow guide
          Thanks

Comment

Is the search function borked?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

am i missing something here
              EDIT :Is mine going the right way ??
              Last edited by evil_jesus; 23 April 2009, 14:56.

Comment

Working...
              X