Speed bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed bell

Okay, question- Does anyone out there know how easy it is to disconnect that f-ing annoying bell that kicks in when you get over 65mph?
    Normally I can deal with it but on long journies like on the motorway it drives me mad and there's just no plus side to it.
    Does it involve taking off the whole dash just to chop a small wire or is there an easy way?

Cheers!

EH WHAT BELL OVER 65MPH, not heard of that one,
    sure its not the dog tied to the towbar
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      some of the unlucky ones have a bell fitted to stop them speeding
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

i wouldnt stand for that either. get some earplugs or headphones.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Not too hard to remove, just need small hands or a high pain threshold! Its a little box attached behind the instrument cluster about 2 cm^3
          Have to remove all the trim from around your panel, etc. Info on how to remove everything can be found at
          http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...lo/l33t35t.htm
          Just a matter of unscrewing it and putting it back together!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Hi Dolph

Had that one on my Surf, and it's a bit of a sod of a job. Basically the alarm is a little box behind the dash clocks (speedo etc.). It's just a snip of a wire to solve the problem. Instructions for getting to the back of the clocks can be found here... http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/dash.htm

I was able to reach around and snip the wire without removing the clocks completely, but it's still a bit of a nasty job, not the worst I'm sure, but be prepared for swearing and scraped hands. But, jees it's worth it!

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by marky

I guess it's not standard then.
              Lucky me.
              The bell actually sounds real. I swear they have a mouse or something in their with a tiny hammer.
              Looks like I'll have to go to the garage.

Cheers anyway.

Comment

Delboy,

You beat me to it! Not seen that write up before, seems pretty good.

Dolph this diagram might help too. The alarm is the part no 83248.

Simon
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
                  Guess thats my Sunday then!

Comment

Speed Bell on 1st generation Hilux

Just wanted to point out a difference between these descriptions (i'm assuming 2nd gen. hiluxs) and the process for removing the bell from a 1st gen Hilux.

I just took mine out of my 87 Hilux, and to remove the bell you

0. Disconnect your battery, highly recommended.
                    1. Take off the upper dashboard cover, as posted previously.
                    2. Remove the speedometer/odometer casing and assembly, unhooking the speedometer cable and electrical wires behind it.
                    3. Remove the clear casing cover by unscrewing two screws on top, and then unclipping the clips around the edges.
                    4. Once the casing is out, unscrew the 5 screws to remove the speedometer assembly from the rest of the casing (see photo 1).
                    5. Once the speedometer assembly is free, you can easily spin the speedometer and see that it gets physically stopped when it hits the 105 km/h point.
                    6. To remove the blocking piece, first remove the mystery number meter that is located above the odometer by removing 2 screws (see photo 2). I'd like to know what that other meter is, I have no idea.
                    7. Now that that is out of the way (but still connected by wires), remove the 1 screw that is located above the odometer, along with the 2 screw that is located on the side, which connects two wires (see photo 3). It's now possible to remove the blocking piece from the assembly.
                    8. Reattach screw 2, making sure its mounting the irrelevant wire to the metal bracket (see photo 3 again to see how it looks before you unscrewed it).
                    9. That's it. Now just put everything back together. The blocking piece that is removed is shown in phoo 4).

All in all it wasn't very hard, only took me about an hour, and that included figuring out how it worked. And I'm no great mechanic. All you need is a phillips screwdriver and some patience.

Hope this helps some Gen 1 owners that were going nuts from the bell. This forum has helped me out quite a bit already so I figured I'd return the favor.

ben
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by chillest; 26 November 2003, 05:03. Reason: instruction corrections

Comment

Just a Quick Update

First Post

I had read this info and after deciding that the alarm could be a good idea as these motors seem to creep away from you , before you know it 90mph.
                      I moved the cam round to the left a little and now the alarm wakes me up at just over eighty . Unfortunateley it was all a bit of guess work as to how far to move it. I had tightened it all up a little too much at first and the speedo would not drop as quick as liked , cured now though.

Simon
                      Congratulations Breed Request's

Comment

Just wanted to say cheers for the pointers... I picked up my first hilux (91 2.4TD) last weekend and it was annoying me from day one!

if anyone wonders what it looks like...

it's mounted to the back of the clock unit, which is a pain to get back in as the speedo cable isn't very long! but after much swearing and two small cuts to my hand I did it

no more ding ding, now I just need to work out how to shut the mrs up
                        I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

GOOD JOB GUYS THANKS Im going to do this myself this weekend,,my bell drives me mental ,,, as for the mrs Duct tape is cheap :P lol

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                            some of the unlucky ones have a bell fitted to stop them speeding
                            Its normaly the misses peeping when i go over 65mph.. lol...
                            SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Originally posted by mooter
                              no more ding ding, now I just need to work out how to shut the mrs up
                              Tell her she's getting fat........she wont talk to you for aaaaaaaaaaaages

Comment

Working...
                              X