yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KZN185 How to adjust the glow plug timer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 How to adjust the glow plug timer?

Hi all,

I am not sure if this thread should be here or in the 3.0l section but please move it if you think it is misplaced.

My 1997 3rd gen KZN185 has a difficult start when cold. I noticed the glow plug goes off after about 1sec or less. Is there a way to adjust this timing I would like to put it up to 2-3sec if possible to enssure easy start.

There are no problems when the engine is warm.

I think my fuel filter has a factory build heater if that is important to this task.

Thanks

Just switch the ignition off then on again a couple of times before starting.

Do you know that the glowplugs are working? The light on the dash is nothing to do with it, it will still light up even if the plugs are knackered.

By the way, your profile says 2.4.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Just switch the ignition off then on again a couple of times before starting.

Do you know that the glowplugs are working? The light on the dash is nothing to do with it, it will still light up even if the plugs are knackered.

By the way, your profile says 2.4.
      I am turning the key 2-3 times and it works but it used to start cold with 1 turn and no foot on the gas pedal. Now I have to run the starter for 2-3 seconds with my foot on the gas to make it start. I want to adjust this timer to ensure easy cold start in the winter.

I still have the 2.4 LN130 from my profile line and the way things are going I will keep it and sell the 3.0 KZN185.

Could a poor quality diesel be part of my problem? I do not use Veg Oil but heard some times diese itself could play a part in a slow cold start???
      Last edited by allfriends; 6 August 2008, 13:37.

Comment

CHECK THE GLOW PLUGS, THESE ARE MORE LIKELY THE ISSUE.

Comment

I agree. Check the glow plugs.

Nev

Comment

Heater plugs???

I found the system did not tell me what was happening with regards to the heater plugs soooo, I did the following.
            I fitted a small light fed directly from the heater plug feed rail, this lit whil there was power going to the plugs.
            Once the engine has started the plugs are still fed for up to three minutes depends on the engine temperature, this is te ensure even running when cold.
            I then put in a press button so that I could override timer unit if I wanted to to heat the plugs outwith the timer settings.
            The light is a godsend because I can tell exactly what is happening with the heaters which was not possible before my small modification.

Comment

Originally posted by muller1 View Post
              I found the system did not tell me what was happening with regards to the heater plugs soooo, I did the following.
              I fitted a small light fed directly from the heater plug feed rail, this lit whil there was power going to the plugs.
              Once the engine has started the plugs are still fed for up to three minutes depends on the engine temperature, this is te ensure even running when cold.
              I then put in a press button so that I could override timer unit if I wanted to to heat the plugs outwith the timer settings.
              The light is a godsend because I can tell exactly what is happening with the heaters which was not possible before my small modification.
              Sounds like a very good idea to me. Thanks muller1, I think I'll try this set up and will go on with the modification if it works on my car.

Thanks again.

Comment

Did you get this problem sorted as I've got the very same problem. Wondering if it's a relay problem? I'm gonna whip the glow plugs out this morning and check they are working before winter gets here

Comment

Problem Solved Or May Be There Was No Problem At All

Originally posted by oily View Post
                  Did you get this problem sorted as I've got the very same problem. Wondering if it's a relay problem? I'm gonna whip the glow plugs out this morning and check they are working before winter gets here
                  I have attached Volt Meter to the glow plugs bar and found out that the power goes off after 2-3min when the engine is clod. The warmer the engine is the shorter the time becomes and this is NOT RELATED TO THE GLOW PLUG INDICATOR LIGHT ON THE DASH BOARD.

There is no need to switch the ignition ON and OFF 2-3 times to get better heating from the plugs. Just switch it on and wait 10sec before turning the starter. May be in the Winter months I will need to wait 30sec but even 1min will not be a huge problem, so I think there was nothing wrong with the car to start with...

Good advise from muller1 - Thanks again.

PS: Appologies for the late answer - spent few days on the beach with no PC and internet - felt very good
                  Last edited by allfriends; 28 August 2008, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by allfriends View Post
                    There is no need to switch the ignition ON and OFF 2-3 times to get better heating from the plugs. Just switch it on and wait 10sec before turning the starter. May be in the Winter months I will need to wait 30sec but even 1min will not be a huge problem, so I think there was nothing wrong with the car to start with...
                    If you check *how* that circuit actually operates, you'll find there is a difference to what you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                      If you check *how* that circuit actually operates, you'll find there is a difference to what you believe.
                      OK Matt if you know something on the subject please share it with us. I attached my vlot metter to the power bar powering the glow plugs with the other clip on the body of the car. I think this is the right way to test it...

Comment

Originally posted by allfriends View Post
                        OK Matt if you know something on the subject please share it with us. I attached my vlot metter to the power bar powering the glow plugs with the other clip on the body of the car. I think this is the right way to test it...
                        I never said you had tested it incorrectly. I merely said your assumption of its workings, (specifically in this case, the reference to the on/off, on/off making no difference), was incorrect. The glow system is a two stage process, not a single stage process as you imply.

Comment

Heater plug timer RF Matt

Hi Matt, I am now curious at to how YOU think the heater system works.
                          You say it is a two stage system, I am baffled but that is not difficult for me to be.
                          I thought that the rail was fed when the ignition was turned on and the time was dependant on the engine temperature. Well that is how mine works and I only found this out after fitting the heater indicator light to the heater plug feed rail.
                          I would be obliged if you could please tell me how you see the system working and I am sure most of the other guys would be happy to find out also.
                          Looking forward to your description of the two stage system.
                          Regards
                          Mike

Comment

Jeez. Use the search button. It is what it's there for. There's cartloads of info knocking about.

Comment

No.

Tell us! Tell us! Tell us!!!!
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X