Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering rack gaiter

Hi Boys,

Please can anyone help? My Gen 3 3.0 td needs a new offside steering rack gaiter. I've ordered it and its due to come tomorrow.

Is it just the nut on the tie rod end that has to be loosened to remove the gaiter or is there a lot more involved?

It has just gone through the MOT and this was an Advisory note job that needs doing. Can I take it that there will be no other problems otherwise it would have failed? But I did look underneath during the MOT and saw that the gaiter is oily!!?? And after speaking to Roughtrax on ordering the gaiter, it was mentioned that an oily gaiter could indicate a leaking seal, so I am very confused?!?!?

Any help would be great

Cara Croft
    Last edited by cara-croft; 2 July 2009, 23:15.
    You've heard of Lara Croft, she didn't own a SURF!

Hi Cara, just read your e-mail.

First things first.......http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1140 you won't get treated any differently though.
    Re: the rack gaiters, mark the nut in relation to the shaft with a dab of paint or Tipex before unscrewing to make sure it all goes back in the same place, then it's just a case of removing the old gaiter and sliding on the new one.

If the steering rack is leaking, then it's only an 'O' ring that needs replacing, or it could be oil from somewhere else. You'll have to check when the area is cleaned up before replacing the gaiter.

Comment

Thanks Vince for getting back to me, it was really useful.

I decided to have a look at the tie rod today to see how much was involved after reading your advice. I can see what you meant about marking the nut and that was a really useful tip. I managed to get it done today and unbelievably it all went smoothly. The nut on the shaft was the only problem but I got passed that with a bit of help and then with the marks I was able to feel confident it was all lined back up ok. I couldn't believe that when I took the pin out and undid the castle nut that the rod end just fell out.

After wiping the oil off of the rack there didn't seem to be any more problems, I moved the ball joint around and nothing!!! Great!!!

Now onto sorting out my blue star!!! Its worth the saving I've made today and more even though people still might not want to talk to me !!

Cara
      You've heard of Lara Croft, she didn't own a SURF!

Comment

Working...
      X