www.hiluxsurf.co.uk

Search this site:

Google:
Yahoo:
MSN:

Home Surf FAQ

Go Back   Hilux Surf Forum > HILUX SURF FORUMS - TECHNICAL > Technical - Electrical

Old 1st November 2009, 13:57   #1
Funky

Default Surf won't start - possibly ECU?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and it's taken me a day or two to figure out how to post! Sussed it now though.

My 1993(?) Japanese import Surf series 2 KZN 130 3.0l Turbo Diesel took me to work on Friday, then wouldn't start to take me home.

The engine cranks normally, but there is no fuel at the injectors and no fuel sprays out of the filter when I remove the hose and crank the engine. This would suggest that if there is an electric pump it's not running. There is plenty of fuel in the tank and I've re-primed the filter - the pump goes solid suggesting plenty of pressure and no air. The priming pump can suck fuel through quite happily and fuel can get to the diesel pump no problem.

I've checked all the fuses I can find and the relays seem to be fine.

I didn't see the check engine light on the way to work, and when I tried shorting the links on the diagnostic plug, I didn't get any code at all - not even a single "1" flash for OK.

My guess here, having trawled this forum extensively, is the ECU has died. I tried unplugging it overnight to see if it might reset, but no joy there. I carefully took the lid off the ecu but there is no sign of major catastophy.

My best hope is to send the ECU to the ECU doctor, but he isn't answering the phone, being the weekend, and there's a postal strike on! Why isn't anything easy?!

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

While I'm here, I notice people talking about the glow-plug light. I don't seem to have one - it certainly isn't lit on the dash when I turn the key to the accessory position. Neither is the check engine light. Should it be? I never normally have any trouble starting the engine - even in winter I just stick the key in, turn it and within two cranks it's running. Have I unwittingly been doing something wrong for three years?
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 22:53   #2
Diezel Weazel
100% WVO Nutty Oil Burner

Hi n Welcome this may help
http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ight=Fuel+shut

There's always a Payback .. Ya don't know where n ya never know when tho !!

[B]Jess[/B]
nearly 10 years of Surfs
"Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
Diezel Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:10   #3
Paul1566

Read through this

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57089

and this

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57354

Had same problem cost 180 to fix when was probly 20p part fubar.
Paul1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:12   #4
BUSHWHACKER
Professor

Might be even cheaper if anyone bothered to read my reply.

There are two threads on this subject now.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:20   #5
stormforce

i have just bought a 3.0l with similar problem.Iy will turn over but not fire up.I am waiting for it to be delivered then i will take a look at it this week and see what i can do.If i find the problem i'll report back as a few have given some ideas in my thread i posted at the weekend
heres a link to my thread with info
http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=58757

Last edited by stormforce; 2nd November 2009 at 12:26.
stormforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:34   #6
Paul1566

His thread states no glow light or engine check light but it turns over, well thats exactly what mine did.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:44   #7
Funky

Default Sounds very familiar

Thanks for your responses guys - I'm pretty convinced now that it's the ecu, so it's gone off to the doctor. I'm getting exactly the same symptoms as Paul1556.

One thing worries me though. The numpty from the AA said "sounds like the stop solenoid's stuck. I'll just connect it directly to 12v." Unsuprisingly nothing happened, but from the description I have a horrible feeling the thing he connected to 12v was actually the spill control valve that a poster said never to put 12v through. Oh dear. Worse still, I suspect he actually hit the thing with a hammer to "free it off". The object in question is a small vertical cylinder with a bulbous (rubber?) bit at the bottom and a very thin but large nut screwing it to the back of the fuel pump.

Let's hope the fourth emergency service haven't done more harm than good. If he has, is it replaceable? It looked like a git to get off.

With reference to the glowplug light, I've never seen it. Maybe the bulb has never worked, but I've always wondered if I was supposed to have one. What does it look light and which lights are near it?

Oh, and sorry for starting two threads. I'm a biff.
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:54   #8
Paul1566

The glow light is bottom row far left in the dash panel and only lights for a second or so.
My driving position means mine is obscured by the steering wheel so i don't see it anyway.
If someone could get an ecu with the same symptoms, for free of course, and try changing the voltage
regulators to see if that cures it, that would make the answer a whole lot cheaper.
As Apache said in my thread its probly a 5v regulator worth pennies that has just expired.
Five minutes with soldering iron and your fixed.

Oh and hope he didn't put 12v through it, think someone on my thread said that is a big no no.....
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:44   #9
NiftyNev

The spill control valve can be replaced but the pump will need to be removed, rebuilt and recalibrated and it's true they should never be connected to battery voltage.

Nev
NiftyNev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:00   #10
Paul1566

Just a thought do the AA fill out a detailed work sheet for what they have done.
If he has noted that he conected the valve to the battery, surely you can claim
the repair to the spill valve from them ?
He should have checked before doing it, and if he did not know not to, he should have left alone.
(god my grammars crap today)