Jimny Build {it begins}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimny Build {it begins}

Thought I would post my it "begins thread" in the correct section, with the hijacks removed. {my fault for listing in general I know}

Original Thread is here but runs to almost 80 posts
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=58380

So here she is. Almost a shame to off road it. { almost }
    2000 on a W plate good history 58k mile.

Some good bling removed and sold on eblag, can you belive the chrome grille set went for near £50 All told I have got £250 from parts I wont use so far. { anyone need a rear bumper?? } {now sold, another £80 into the fund}

This is the kit going on the jimny. +3" springs with es1000s to match. Went for the oil filled due to the finish weight of the toy truck.

Also picked these up and have made a start on doing them in matt black.
    Bronco Dimond Backs.

Quick introduction to the wire brush, and mash hammer to reshape the rims

Starting to get some clearance now. New longer braided brake lines on order.

Anyway hope to take delivery of winch bumper this week and make a start on fabing a rear bumper. Will update as I go.

Rod for you mate, clearly a man with taste. {some of the last build in this thread} http://www.scottishmudclub.com/2009/.../#post15571081
    Last edited by yoshie; 4 January 2010, 14:26.
    Brian

{Not sure how many surfers will end up with a jminy, but just incase}
    Stripped and waiting for winch bumper to arrive.
    Loads of space on these to fit a winch if you fancied just cutting the plastic original.
    The space on top of those chassis legs will take even the biggest of winch.

You can see the depth of the gap back to the Rad better in this one.

Last edited by yoshie; 4 January 2010, 14:31.
    Brian

Comment

Alan giving it the message {he loves that grinder}

Drivers side mounting plate needs trimmed like this

Because in standard trim it fouls the steering and won't slide far enough back

Now you have to put shims in the chassis legs to move the mounts supplied into the centre a little. This will save you the 30min we spent trial fitting again and again.
      This pic shows the shim and mount about to be tacked in place by my skillful hand

Mounts in correct place and ready to be welded, note the shim on the outside of the mount in the chassis leg this is needed on both mounts.

Welded and painted this is how close the mount should be to the lights. If it's not then the chassis outrigger is not trimed enough.

On and looking as I wanted.

All that is need to finish this off is an Apache sticker or two.

Thanks to my brother Alan for his help today quality as always mate
      A bit dark when I finished sorry, it's going for it's first outting tomorrow so maybe better pics then.

Next step is fitting the winch it's on order so will probably be next sundays project.
      Last edited by yoshie; 22 July 2011, 00:07.
      Brian

Comment

Had it's first run out yesterday and it was fantastic.
        I have had a number of off road toys, yotas, v8 bobtail, buggy, SJs but this wee thing is without doubt the most capable I have ever owned or driven.
        Massive grin factor. Will update when winch, cage and locker are being fitted.

Double rear wheel wave, was steeper than I thought

Brian

Comment

Well pleasant surprise this weekend, Albannach and gwh200 dropped in for a visit. Looks we will have Graham full time soon and maybe with a much smaller truck hidden in the garage for Sundays

As I am an amature at auto electrics, Andy wouldn't let me extend the control wires {of course}. So Graham and I had to stand and watch {perfect}

Wander lead plug moved from the winch to under the steering wheel and all the soleinod bridges sealed up.

Winch sits well inside the bumper with the bridge laid back towards the Rad, nice low profile.
          Apache thanks for the number plate sticker mate.

So rear bumper next, this will be a home made affair and will be made in stages. Need to get enough of it on to mount indicators for our Day at Glentarkie on the 12th.
          Brian

Comment

Made a start on my bumper after work today.

Got some 3mm bent up at a local engineer's and Pete gave me a large sheet of 14 gauge to make my end sections {thanks mate}

So made some box to fit inside the chassis

Then welded some nuts in place that will slide inside the chassis only one in each tonight as I don't have the shorter ones I need for further inside the chassis yet.

Fit in chassis like so

So stage one finished the indicators and brake lights will be fitted this week.
            Then the difficult bit, making the side sections to in fill below and round the lights.

Brian

Comment

Well first spare time in weeks, it was -6 and the telly was rotten. So I decided to get some temp lights fitted so I could get to the annual SMC Christmas run this Sunday.
              I cut and shaped the ends fitted the second bolt each side and temp mounted the lights so I take them off when I get to the site.

All the lights will be in the top cluster when finished reverse lights will be indicators fogs will double as tail and brake, reverse, fog and number plate lights will all be on back door with square plate surf style.

The bumper will have side sections when finished to box in under the lights and around to meet the arches.

Roll on Sunday

Brian

Comment

Well bit more done today.
                I have started on the end sections, lots of cardboard cutting, then attacked the 14 gauge with the cutting wheel.

If like me you don't own a press brake bender then 14 gauge is a little stiff.
                I mark the bend then cut half way through the plate bend it then tack weld on the bend replace lost strength.

Re-shaped the ends

Tacked in place then made the top sections.

I am pleased with how it's shaping up. Tomorrow I will remove the bumper and re-shape the ends of the C channel and tack in the bottom pieces.
                Those lights will also be going with brakes and indicators being relocated into top clusters.

Last edited by yoshie; 4 January 2010, 14:54.
                Brian

Comment

Finished it off today. It's supposed to be similar to the off road armoury bumper as I wanted it to be a match for my front winch bumper.

A fair bit of weld, which is never an issue going on, but a pain when you are have to dress it all.

So fit the tow points and a lick of paint and it's another wee job ticked off.

Last edited by yoshie; 9 January 2010, 12:32.
                  Brian

Comment

Nice work there Yoshie .
                    Neal

Comment

Thank's Neal, always good when someone likes what you bodge
                      Brian

Comment

Thats looks fantastic Brian, a professional looking job there, as good as the front.

Off on a tangent here, but whats the engine bay measurements on those Zooks? (firewall to slam panel and between the inner wheel arches)

Comment

It's very compact vince... I do beleive it will take a v8 with less than a 45 degree angle between the cylinder banks. I've seen an sj with a rover v8 installed. This obe close up is spectacular. It's incredibly capable.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            Thats looks fantastic Brian, a professional looking job there, as good as the front.

Off on a tangent here, but whats the engine bay measurements on those Zooks? (firewall to slam panel and between the inner wheel arches)
                            Thanks Vince appreciated.

Will measure for you mate, but it can't be smaller than an sj below. So if you were planning this, then hmmm lovely idea

Brian

Comment

That little Zook's looking fantastic Yoshie!
                              Having seen that and some of Rob's builds, kinda makes me want one

Alan
                              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X