Starter Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor

Having a few probs getting the old girl started (no not the missus). I keep getting a click, then it'll fire up after about 5-6 turns. I know its probably the starter motor, and I've searched the forum on advice on how to change it, but where am I likely to get the starter kit from or if anyone can lay their hands on one and post it to me, it would be appreciated.

cheers

Fieldsy

...............its getting a bit like pot luck now whether it starts or not

When this happens it is normally only the solenoid contacts which is integral to the starter body. You can get the contact kits from Toyota and it isn't too bad a job.

Rich.

Edit: These are the parts to do it and the prices I paid at the time

Plunger, Magnet Switch (Solenoid) Part No. 28235-17030- £14.92
    Fits 2LTE, 3L..LN13# IKZTE, 2L#, KZN130, LN108,112,85..4FC

Starter Kit, Motor Terminal (The bit the plunger hits and connects the starter motor) Part No. 28226-54220 £9.39

Starter Kit, Battery Terminal (The other bit the plunger hits) Part No. 28226-54320 £5.78
    Last edited by rich; 25 June 2004, 08:50.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Have look on the US site - I had this problem on my 4runner and found some ofthe info there - you may get the info from a Colorado manual)
      (I also picked Tony's brain - that's probably why he's like he is now - )
      NO WORRIES!
      Rusty

Comment

This details the contact replacement (At the bottom of the page). Milners also do an exchange unit for about £135.

Rich.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/
        Last edited by rich; 25 June 2004, 09:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
          Having a few probs getting the old girl started (no not the missus). I keep getting a click, then it'll fire up after about 5-6 turns. I know its probably the starter motor, and I've searched the forum on advice on how to change it, but where am I likely to get the starter kit from or if anyone can lay their hands on one and post it to me, it would be appreciated.

cheers

Fieldsy

...............its getting a bit like pot luck now whether it starts or not
          Hello Mate. Mine was excactly the same and it was the solenoids, changed them and its fine now.
          Chers Kevin.
          95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

thanks for all the input, and all the part numbers Rich, but mines a KZN185, any advice on a set for this model???

Comment

I believe that you've got the same base engine 1KZTE plus the intercooler and the starter is the same. When you go to Toyota with your frame and engine number they will be able to tell you exactly.

Rich.

Originally posted by Fieldsy
              thanks for all the input, and all the part numbers Rich, but mines a KZN185, any advice on a set for this model???
              Last edited by rich; 26 June 2004, 10:05.

Comment

nice one Rich, thanks for the reply

Comment

just wondering, i'm having problem finding correct starter contacts part no.s .....in the posts below where the engine types are listed that are covered by the various part no.s, does the 2L# indicate the 2L engine or the 2LT engine?..if its the 2LT engine my search is over

Comment

Got my bits from Roughtrax. Cheap as chips and did the trick. It's a bugga getting the starter out of a KZN130, but once you've done that, the repair is east peasy.

Just give them a ring, tell em what surf you've got and they'll tell you what bits you need.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      Got my bits from Roughtrax. Cheap as chips and did the trick. It's a bugga getting the starter out of a KZN130, but once you've done that, the repair is east peasy.

Just give them a ring, tell em what surf you've got and they'll tell you what bits you need.

You repaired you own starter?

Did you clean your finger nails after?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        You repaired you own starter?

Did you clean your finger nails after?
                        Oi, you're mistaking me for a 3rd gen owner!!!!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

mines doing the same, i have got a new starter from roughtracks, 2 new batteries and its still the same. the weird bit is when ever you disconnect leads and reconnect them it starts fine
                          Working at last.......

Comment

Working...
                          X