Banging , speaking noise in front suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banging , speaking noise in front suspension

OK , I think I have discovered what it is , but not really sure , its difficult to see ! ....

But if on full lock either way , and you bounce the front. i.e kerb etc etc
    There is a real metal on metal clang and creak. A mate had a quick look today , and said it might be the bump stops , as they looked loose and we managed to get them to hit the other bit of axel type thing , by both of us ( both 15 stone ) bouncing on the bull bar.

1) Is this how it should be ? doesnt seem like much travel before it hits.

2) Should i get it changed / fixed whatever before my first outing to the Devils pit ( oct 12th ? )

If you need pics of what im blabbering on about , let me know.

Thanks again

SparX
    Last edited by SparX; 8 November 2005, 17:26.
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

this is normal for a surf, the plastic bumpstop caps are useless, they wear through, stick a blob of grease on the bump stops (4 of them).
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Its the steering stops, garrenteed! (sp?)

Vasaline or grease, both does the job (yellow circle) Like Simon said, both side of the lower wishbone, both sides of the car...........
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Its the steering stops, garrenteed! (sp?)

Vasaline or grease, both does the job (yellow circle) Like Simon said, both side of the lower wishbone, both sides of the car...........
        Works a treat - did mine last weekend. Stops pedestrians looking and thinking,"Nice looking heap!"
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for that , off to go out and buy some grease ( apparantly not aloud to use the babies vasaline ! )

I assume the green circle on my picture is the bit your talking about , What about the Yellow and Red arrows ? The bit that the red arrow is pointing to is loose on the drivers side !! is this serious ?

Thanks again

SparX

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
            I assume the green circle on my picture is the bit your talking about , What about the Yellow and Red arrows ? The bit that the red arrow is pointing to is loose on the drivers side !! is this serious ?

Thanks again

SparX
            Yes to the green bit, as for the bump stop, it's only held on by a nut on the other side, unless the rubber has come away from the metal backing, but it should'nt cause any problem or noises. Some people cut them in half to allow more 'bump' (upwards suspention travel) when offroading or you have jacked the torsion bars a little.

they will only contact each other over big bumps (speed humps hit hard) so if its not there at all, you'll just a bang noise as the lower wish bone hits the matal backing plate of the bump stop.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

THANK YOU

Big thanks to TonyN and Stara, I now have a silent ride , no clanging or anything.

Cheers

SparX

Comment

noisey front sus

I to have a problem that sounds very much the same as what has been covered, but when I put the steph's on ever part of the suspention the noise was coming from the lower arm bushes can anyone tell me if this is a bitch to do ? the one thing I don't need is to open a can of worms.
                any body got any ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by paulo
                  I to have a problem that sounds very much the same as what has been covered, but when I put the steph's on ever part of the suspention the noise was coming from the lower arm bushes can anyone tell me if this is a bitch to do ? the one thing I don't need is to open a can of worms.
                  any body got any ideas ?
                  Damn I thought this Spelling mistake of a thread title had disapeared !

If its the anti-roll bar bushes , they are pretty easy ( available from Milners )

But try greasing up those parts mentioned above anyway , it cured a whole lot of noises for me !

Comment

Silent running

Ah! My thanks to you all. I have been worying about my clanking steering bits for weeks wondering whether I can afford to have it looked at. Now I don't need to. As you suggested I have greased my end stops and now all is quiet.

Won't there be a problem when it comes to MOT time, though? Surely I'll need proper rubber stops to pass the test.

Comment

Just grease it up again it will be fine
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

silent running

not part of the mot hermann

Comment

noisy front suspension!!!

hi there

had the same problem on a 94 3.00td & a 93 v6..have changed the nylon bump stops but creaking still persists !!!!!!

cured when i changed the power steering fluid, totaly silent now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards Banana

Comment

squeaking from front suspension on full lock

Ive got the same problem but only on left lock and only on rough terain. It also happens when im not on full lock ( so not bump stops) there seems to be rust around the top mount of the left shocker, were the plate to stop it rotating touchs the chassis. dont know if this is problem havent got round to looking at it yet (typical mechanic aye) as normaly only hear it when launching boat.

Comment

How much grease exactly needs to be put on? A good handful or sparingly? does it need to be done often?

Comment

Working...
                              X