Auto Gear Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Gear Change

Hi, i own a 1994 3.0 L automatic surf which has recently developed a problem with its gear change.
    It has started to over rev when changing gear, 1st to 2nd wont change up until it hits 3000 revs, 2nd to 3rd changes at 2750 ect.
    it also doesn't seem to make any difference if i switch off the OD aswell.
    I have done a search and it looks like its the ECU, what do you think ?
    Also is there a gear box ECU or is it all done through the engine ECU ?, if this is the case.
    Check the gear box level and it seem to be fine.
    Any help would be great................
    Thanks.
    Last edited by mark 1; 15 October 2010, 17:39.

Engine and transmission are controlled by the one ECU.

Did you check the transmission fluid level with the engine running?

Does it change gear OK if you shift manually?

Comment

Originally posted by mark 1 View Post
      Hi, i own a 1994 3.0 L automatic surf which has recently developed a problem with its gear change.
      It has started to over rev when changing gear, 1st to 2nd wont change up until it hits 3000 revs, 2nd to 3rd changes at 2750 ect.
      it also doesn't seem to make any difference if i switch off the OD aswell.
      I have done a search and it looks like its the ECU, what do you think ?
      Also is there a gear box ECU or is it all done through the engine ECU ?, if this is the case.
      Check the gear box level and it seem to be fine.
      Any help would be great................
      Thanks.
      Is there any noticable drop in power? I blocked my fuel filter and my auto was not changing up properly, loads of white smoke and no oomph.

Changed filter and all was well. May be worth a try if you have tried everything else.
      l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Over the weekend i,ve tried different things with the gear change problem, tried changing in manual but no difference, running with the ECT button on but again no change and no overdive but again no results.
        The only thing i manged to find out is if above 2000 revs (approx) to get it to change from 1st to 2nd i had to lift off the accelerater pedal and it changes on its own with out reving to 3000 revs and again 2nd to 3rd at approx the same revs.
        On the motorway it wont change into top gear and just keeps building up on the revs the faster i go.
        Any ideas...........

Comment

Assuming you've checked the fluid level correctly, you need a replacement ECU.

I hope my diagnosis is financially acceptable because there are some members on here lately that don't seem to believe what they are told and hope someone suggests a cheap fix.

Comment

have you got an ect switch? usually situated in the front of the arm rest, if this has been inadvertantly pressed then the gear changes change, however there should'nt be any extra revving at point of change.

Comment

I agree with Vince on this.Every 3.0 ecu i have sold has solved similar problems to yours.If there is someone near to you with a 3.0 see if you can try their ecu in your truck to see if that solves the problem.If so let me know as i have an ecu here for £120
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for that, i,ll double check the level again and take it from there.

Comment

Problem sorted, thanks to stomforce

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                    have you got an ect switch? usually situated in the front of the arm rest, if this has been inadvertantly pressed then the gear changes change, however there should'nt be any extra revving at point of change.
                    Did you even read his post?
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by mark 1 View Post
                      Problem sorted, thanks to stomforce
                      glad its sorted Mark

Comment

The rest of us need to know how it was sorted!

A non-contributor asks for free advice, probably saving a lot of money if they just went to the grease monkeys, and we're all kept in the dark????

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          The rest of us need to know how it was sorted!

A non-contributor asks for free advice, probably saving a lot of money if they just went to the grease monkeys, and we're all kept in the dark????
                          3.0 ecu i sold to him Vince just incase Mark don't reply

Comment

Stormforce wrote,
                            I agree with Vince on this.Every 3.0 ecu i have sold has solved similar problems to yours.If there is someone near to you with a 3.0 see if you can try their ecu in your truck to see if that solves the problem.If so let me know as i have an ecu here for £120

Sorry about the confussion, i thought the post's had said it.

Bought a replacment ECU from Stormforce as like he thought mine had gone, nice quick fix.

Comment

think i might have developed the same problem, will check fluid levels today but might need a ECU replacing !!

Comment

Working...
                              X