Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexurf V.

2.4 engine and trans removed...

Grubby engine compartment scrubbed and cleaned.....

To give an idea how much the 2.4 lump weighs, this measurement is from the ground.... (31" tyres and 2" bodylift fitted) I'll show the height measurement again when the all alloy V8 is in.

This is what the V8 looked like after removal from the LS400.....

After a good scrubbing, a make-over and a timing belt, waterpump and ignition components re-newal, it now looks like this......

Oil filter/cooler kit fitted.....

Photo showing transfercase adapted and wired up to the V8's loom.....

More photos tomorrow when the engine is in the truck.

As always, love watching this type of thing come together.
    Brian

Comment

Once again very nice job so far..... can only dribble with jealousy......

Can you do me a favour sir and measure the length from the rear of the block
      to the front of the water pump pulley, my friend has a lotus espirit like the bond one,
      in white aswell, and he is considering an engine upgrade.
      He did consider a bmw v8 but 100 too long, then came up with ford 2.5l v6 same as
      in the noble but with a single turbo.
      Rover v8 is too heavy and to old school, push rods etc.
      i suggested 1uzfe but he needs to know length to see if possible.
      Cheers
      Remember arrows are silent.....................
      Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
        my friend has a lotus espirit like the bond one,
        in white aswell, and he is considering an engine upgrade.
        Cheers
        My first proper car was a white Lotus Esprit - the new shape though not the Bond one. Still probably the best driving car I have ever driven. I used to drive it sideways everywhere, even in London. Was like a go-cart. Happy days...

Though looking forward to some Lexurf happiness shortly. Loving Lexurf V Vince - that black and silver look is just the ticket - really smart.

Comment

This help?

The waterpump is driven by the timing belt thats under the covers, the viscous fan is bolted to an idler pulley (large silver pulley, top centre with four nuts attached) driven by the ancilllary (fan) belt.

Has he considered the Audi 3.6 V8? I don't know what the dimensions of it are though, but it seems compact.

Comment

Showing timing belt and idler pulleys, distributor housings and the idler pulley on the front of the waterpump. (centre).......

Comment

That's great vince cheers.

So i take it its 710 from front of pulley (balancer) on crank to rear of block.

He considered audi but think cost was an issue and not enough info available.
              Last edited by Paul1566; 15 January 2011, 20:35.

Comment

I love to see the transformation from grotty and minging, to " shiny shiny". Just look how that engine compartment comes up with all the grot and the Toyota provided wax film removed.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
                  That's great vince cheers.

So i take it its 710 from front of pulley (balancer) on crank to rear of block.

Yes.
                  Basically, the complete engine assembly (complete as in all the ancillaries fitted) is 700mm cubed.

Comment

Great will print that out and pass it on.

Cheers

Comment

More detailed measurements here....

Size comparison between the 1UZ-FE and a small block Chevy (357ci).....

Comment

Very cool Vince, cracking job on scrubbing it up and I'm liking the look of your toyroom (workshop), I need one of those!!

Do you do anything to the V8 in terms of rebuilding etc before it goes in?

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Vince
                          Your picture of the 1UZ next to the Chevy small block leads me to ask a question that I've often thought about.
                          Why not use an older model Chevy smallblock 5.0 or 5.7 ?

Surely it's got to be an easier/ less complicated engine to install, run, service.

My experience of engine swaps, rebuilds, etc. was based on those very engines. 60s Cameros and Chevelles, Pontiac Firebirds, Ford Mustangs and the like.
                          Very basic engines. No ECUs, minimal sensors and you could swap one in under a weekend.
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                            Vince
                            Your picture of the 1UZ next to the Chevy small block leads me to ask a question that I've often thought about.
                            Why not use an older model Chevy smallblock 5.0 or 5.7 ?

Surely it's got to be an easier/ less complicated engine to install, run, service.

My experience of engine swaps, rebuilds, etc. was based on those very engines. 60s Cameros and Chevelles, Pontiac Firebirds, Ford Mustangs and the like.
                            Very basic engines. No ECUs, minimal sensors and you could swap one in under a weekend.

Totally agree with you there if the Surf was to be two wheel drive, but the Lexus transmission mates to the Surf's transfercase without the need for special adapters etc.
                            Another reason as the Lexus engine/transmission can be check that they're working/running OK whilst still in the car, that's why I want a complete car to strip beforehand, american engines are usually just strapped to a pallet when you buy them.
                            Another reason is spares availability, Lexus is basically Toyota stuff, so can be obtained from local motor factors.

Oh and one other reason, Lexus V8s return the same mpg as the diesel engines they replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                              Very cool Vince, cracking job on scrubbing it up and I'm liking the look of your toyroom (workshop), I need one of those!!

Do you do anything to the V8 in terms of rebuilding etc before it goes in?

Cheers

Ben
                              To save on costs/labour, I prefer to have a complete running car to check for any major problems, plus I can check for any ECU codes before removing the engine.
                              I replace the timing belts, idler bearings and water pumps if necessary, plus plugs, leads, distributors etc if the customer wants me too, saves them doing it later.

Comment

Working...
                              X