Strange problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange problem.

Lo all, did plenty of searches and still not found an answer yet.

So the problem:

Once the truck is warm, up to temp, if I stop then reverse or pull away without much right foot like stopping and parking, or pulling gently out of junction the back wheel seems to lock for a few yards and shudder, Mudskipper wached them do it, if I give it some beans then it pulls away smoothley enough.

It acts like the rear drums are sticking, but only for a few yards.
    The rear diff is LSD but seems to be working perfectly in slippy conditions.

Thus far my best guess is the load sensor on the rear brake system needs some attention or perhaps replacing, anyone come across this before?

cheers in advance, Nik you in tomorrow morn ?

peace
    cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

I'd say you were right first time and it's something up with the diff. I used to have an LSD and it felt a bit weird and made odd noises sometimes. Have oyu considered taking it out and giving it the once over?

Comment

Cheers yeah I though I'd post before buying new diff oil to do that, and hopefully get a reccy from Nik (An1mal_69) who is very mechanicanly savvy before doing that.

peace
      cal

Comment

Have you got extended breathers on there and have you been in any deep water?

I would'n't buy diff oil on my recommendation as almost all of my mechanical knowledge comes from building RC cars.....but it does sound like the diff needs fresh oil. Even at 1 tenth scale, they get a bit crunchy and catchy when they're dry.

Comment

Pull up at home then put in neutral and jack up the rear axle and see if there is any binding on the drums / diff.

Maybe a gearbox problem ? - I had an old auto that used to play up pulling away.

Comment

Originally posted by Calos View Post
            Cheers yeah I though I'd post before buying new diff oil to do that, and hopefully get a reccy from Nik (An1mal_69) who is very mechanicanly savvy before doing that.

peace
            cal
            Sorry lad, only jus seen this!

Been out wi' dog this morning anyhoo. Sounds tricky I'll have a listen next time your about

Comment

I had a Cherokee that done that. turned out to be the clutches in the LSD needed to be changed.
              It should be less apparent when pulling away in a straight line.
              If you pull away whilst turning, the shuddering will be accentuated.
              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                Have you got extended breathers on there and have you been in any deep water?

I would'n't buy diff oil on my recommendation as almost all of my mechanical knowledge comes from building RC cars.....but it does sound like the diff needs fresh oil. Even at 1 tenth scale, they get a bit crunchy and catchy when they're dry.
                No extended breathers, not needed on this diff I've been told

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                Pull up at home then put in neutral and jack up the rear axle and see if there is any binding on the drums / diff.

Maybe a gearbox problem ? - I had an old auto that used to play up pulling away.
                Will give it a try, could be clay-mud in the drum mechs from Geoffs farm.

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
                Sorry lad, only jus seen this!

Been out wi' dog this morning anyhoo. Sounds tricky I'll have a listen next time your about
                No bother mate, I'm off on thursday maybe nip over for a rekky then ?

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                I had a Cherokee that done that. turned out to be the clutches in the LSD needed to be changed.
                It should be less apparent when pulling away in a straight line.
                If you pull away whilst turning, the shuddering will be accentuated.
                It only does it on low throttle, bit of right foot and it doesn't turning or straight.

Cheers for all the responses guys much appreciated

peace
                cal

Comment

Do we put friction modifiers into our diffs? or is that just for those new fangled things?
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    Do we put friction modifiers into our diffs......

Is that a technical name for sand?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Is that a technical name for sand?
                      no, thats Drumclog...
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                      X