Windscreen Replacement and Autoglass scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen Replacement and Autoglass scam

Having managed to smash my screen the other week, I booked up a replacement with Autoglass - £365 odd (which was pretty punchy). Then lo and behold, the day before the fitting, they rang up and claimed that that price didn't include the chrome trims. So they would now like £668. So £303 for some chrome trims.
    Having searched through a few of the threads here, it seems like this is quite a common scam. Since there is no way their system would not price a job including all parts necessary, they plainly book up a fitting and then throw in the price doubling just beforehand on the basis that many customers will say "sod it" and pay. Especially since there is plainly no correlation between the part said to have been missed off and the new price. Once I went spare at them they offered me the trims for "only" another £180. Err, right.
    Anyway, I have now properly gone ballistic and cancelled the order, and so need to find a new windscreen from elsewhere. There are a bunch of other threads containing links to the part number, but none of the links works.
    Does anyone know the part number for a 1995 3L Surf? And can anyone recommend a decent place to source a new one with the gold, err, I mean chrome, trims?
    Many thanks,
    Flounder

The screen part number is in this post....
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...part+number%23

I'll track down a supplier later.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      The screen part number is in this post....
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...part+number%23

I'll track down a supplier later.
      Good man many thanks Vince. See you tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
        Good man many thanks Vince. See you tomorrow?
        I'll be there.

Comment

How much! Flipping heck.

I've got some mates in the screen fitting business,my screen is cracked so I rang them for a price..

£120 all in , supplied and fitted
          PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Plus I used to work for autoglass and with 'gavin' from autoglass. The cocky little shit , I still owe him a punch for winding my Mrs up .
            PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
              Plus I used to work for autoglass and with 'gavin' from autoglass. The cocky little shit , I still owe him a punch for winding my Mrs up .
              http://www.sickipedia.org/getjokes/similar/759401

You might like this one:

"I got a chip in my windscreen earlier, so I decided to give Gavin from Autoglass a ring.

I'm too tight to get it fixed, I just wanted to tell him he's a ####."

Comment

baaah - robbing barstewards

dont you have windae cover on the insurance - i thought the lawyery fraternity was all clued up on stuff like that

Comment

Having managed to smash my screen the other week, I booked up a replacement with Autoglass - £365 odd (which was pretty punchy). Then lo and behold, the day before the fitting, they rang up and claimed that that price didn't include the chrome trims. So they would now like £668. So £303 for some chrome trims.
                  Having searched through a few of the threads here, it seems like this is quite a common scam. Since there is no way their system would not price a job including all parts necessary, they plainly book up a fitting and then throw in the price doubling just beforehand on the basis that many customers will say "sod it" and pay. Especially since there is plainly no correlation between the part said to have been missed off and the new price. Once I went spare at them they offered me the trims for "only" another £180. Err, right.
                  Anyway, I have now properly gone ballistic and cancelled the order, and so need to find a new windscreen from elsewhere. There are a bunch of other threads containing links to the part number, but none of the links works.
                  Does anyone know the part number for a 1995 3L Surf? And can anyone recommend a decent place to source a new one with the gold, err, I mean chrome, trims?
                  Many thanks,
                  Flounder
                  Hi, i used to be a windscreen fitter you should be able to reuse the chrome trims as long as they have not been in and out few times before, just have to be careful removing them used to take loads out in body shops for respray, save the screen and trims beacause they dont want to pay for new ones. find a fitter that has been doing the job 20 years plus he will know how to.the sreen on a surf has to be set out a bit on blocks or damming tape to stop it sinking to far into the glue.

Comment

Typical scam... let them turn up with the windscreen and say " did you not get the message - the order was cancelled

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I was also going to suggest insurance.

I had the M3 screen done a couple of years ago, it cost me £70 and didn't alter me renewal at all. The glass alone was £560! Made the £700 premium not seem so bad.,...
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have glass cover with Sureterm, and yes I could just pay whatever and then dump the problem with the insurers.
                        That is what most people do, and that is probably the root of scams like this being carried out by Autoglass etc.
                        But that is also why we get all the "ohmigod look at my renewal quote why are all insurers such rip-offs?" threads...
                        In other words I'm just trying to do my bit for all you good folk...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have glass cover with Sureterm, and yes I could just pay whatever and then dump the problem with the insurers.
                          That is what most people do, and that is probably the root of scams like this being carried out by Autoglass etc.
                          But that is also why we get all the "ohmigod look at my renewal quote why are all insurers such rip-offs?" threads...
                          In other words I'm just trying to do my bit for all you good folk...
                          Just my input (as I usually but in anyway). I had my screen cracked when it was parked somewhere one night. I called my insurers who arranged everything for me. All I had to pay was £50 for the excess and it did not affect my no claims bonus. Although as it is a claim I do need to declare it on any insurance quotes (which is news to me). However, although the company didn't fit the screen properly and it leaked they never asked me to pay £50 and neither did my insurance company. I'm not sure who I was supposed to pay the excess to. There is a thread by me on here from when it was replaced. Also when I did 40mph the noise of the wind over the screen sounded like I was travelling well over 100mph. Oh and it leaked but all of that has since been sorted. They blamed having to glue the screen in. But they did give me a nice choice of a tint at the top of the screen like a visor which I didn't have before.
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Zone tint screen

Tony,you dont know the name of the firm that does the zone tint screen do you by any chance,p.s. will do that article asap,my youngest will undoubtably appear for food soon so wont be long,Alan

Comment

I have a screen, still in a frame of body work though, as I've not managed to get one out without breaking it.

Free if you can find a tame fitter to remove it safley and replace.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X