Yahoo:
MSN:

Home Surf FAQ

Old 25th August 2011, 17:03   #1
johnsiddle

Vehicle: !995 3ltr KZN130
Default Flashing OD light

Hi Guy's
Just to add to my error 14 problems, the day before yesterday my OD Off light started flashing.
It started after the engine had warmed up and went on all day.

Stopping the engine cured it for about a mile when it started again.

Yesterday it started after about 15+ miles and continued until I got home.
Today it has been OK.

There is no reduction in power (except when my engine light comes on as well with the error 14 code that I am already chasing) and the overdrive continues to work.
I am not over bothered about it but was wondering if anyone knows what it means...

I am deffo going to look at electrifying this beast....
John
johnsiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 06:55   #2
BeratE

Vehicle: 2004 Tacoma Surf

Hi John,
I recently swapped my auto tranny out for a 5-speed. I also had the O/D Off light flashing and found that it would go away if I plugged the transmission oil temperature sensor back into the wiring loom. Probably not your issue, but I'd say it's worth checking on the temp sensor. It is located on one of the tranny oil cooler lines. At room temperature, mine had a resistance of 8.5 kOhm.

I believe that I recall reading that it will flash if the fluid level is too low as well.

Good luck
BeratE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 22:46   #3
johnsiddle

Thanks mate, I will check that.
I was wondering about the oil level but assumed it would show up with some other light, low transmission oil would make sense.

Haven't got around to stripping my injector pump down as yet, its gone a bit too cold for working outside, still it is summer in UK after al, what else can you expect.
john
Old 31st August 2011, 03:33   #4
BeratE

Vehicle: 2004 Tacoma Surf

John,
I have sad news to report. What I initially told you was incorrect. I went for a spin in the truck with the tranny oil temp sensor in place and wound up with the O/D Off light flashing, so I have yet to find out exactly what is triggering mine. The hunt continues...
BeratE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 23:47   #5
johnsiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeratE View Post
John,
I have sad news to report. What I initially told you was incorrect. I went for a spin in the truck with the tranny oil temp sensor in place and wound up with the O/D Off light flashing, so I have yet to find out exactly what is triggering mine. The hunt continues...
OK.
I checked the fluid today but it was halfway between the marks (hot) so I guess it is OK.

I had a similar fault two years ago but the engine failed just after the fault came on and that was cured by a replacement ECU, I tried the ECU back in about a year ago and the fault was still there.
Maybe it is a common ECU fault, I have another so I might try that one and see if it is an ecu fault.

If it was a common fault I would have expected a bigger response on the forum tho.

Will keep you informed

John

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
HTML code is Off
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On