yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electroluminescent dial faces, how to illuminate the needles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electroluminescent dial faces, how to illuminate the needles..

Those of you that have fitted or are interested in fitting these to your 2nd gen.......
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You will know (or not) that the needles are very hard to see when driving at night as you need to paint them red to be able to see them in daylight!

The solution I've come up with is to get one of these kits already wired for 12v applications....... (available in three colours)
    http://scootrs.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2143

This is what you'll receive......

Remove the supplied needles and discard, you only need the miniature LED rings....

Next, remove the dial faces to access the transparent support facia......

Using a hot melt glue gun or small pieces of tape, secure the LED ring to the back of the plastic facia, making sure the hole isn't obstructed by by the wires or the ring itself and that the wires won't foul anything when the facia is re-fitted....

Front view....

Check to make sure they still light up by connecting to a 12v supply.........

Next, refit the facia and route the wires out through the back of the cluster housing....

Refit the dial face and needle and connect to your 12v supply to check illumination.. (Switch on ignition to set the tacho needle at zero, no need to for the speedo needle, just rest on the stop pin)

The needles will now be illuminated all the way around the dial.......

Re-fit the cluster back into the dash, but connect the needles to their own lighting circuit power source i.e. seperate from the dial faces, don't just splice them into the dial face wiring, they won't work.
    Now wait 'till it's dark and try them out............

As you can see, the mile and odometers are now illuminated red. They were also hard to see at night after fitting the new dial faces.

Hope this has help y'all!

Most excellent, this is on my to-do list.

Did you do anything with the needles? I have scraped the old paint off mine and re-sprayed with luminous(ish) orange paint. They are better, but not brilliant.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The needles had been painted on the underside already so I just left them as is. I think they would be too bright if they weren't painted with something.

Comment

Very neat solution Vince.
        Brian

Comment

Vince do you you think a green kit could be beneficial for a stock set up ?

Comment

Not really as you'd have to scrape the colour off the back of the needles and apply some fluorescent green paint, followed by white to make the needle illuminate green.

Comment

Oh ok - I'm in the process of replacing all the bulbs to make it all look like new (Popeye's sorting out the heater panel) and thought this could be worthwhile..

Thanks,
              Rob.

Comment

A great solution. Although I don't like the dials anyway I don't think they fit the character of the truck. I like the old school dials I just changed the crappy green bulbs.

Comment

re

can you get these dials for a gen 3 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
                    can you get these dials for a gen 3 ?
                    Probably. They are called plasma dials. Easy enough to find on ebay if they are available.

Comment

Working...
                    X