Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt light

HELP!!
    i have driven over to ireland from swindon and my t-belt light has just come on......what exactly does this mean? Can i get back to swindon or does it need changing now??

It's fine, the light comes on at 100k after last reset, which you have to assume the last time the belt was changed if you not had it done before.

The belt condition has nothing to do with the light, it won't break just cos the light has come on, it's just telling you it's time to get it done, as long as it was reset properly last time it was changed.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

As tony says, just get it done when you can, its more of an advisory than a warning, every time you tickover 100,000 kms it will pop up, if you dont fancy staring at it when you drive back, reset it and get the belt done while back in sunny swindon.

you don't really want to be sending it into a garage this time of year now do you.
      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Ohhhhhh Thank god......you have so made my xmas, thanks alot fella's, will get this done when I get back!

Out of curiosity how do I reset it?

Thanks again guys!!
        Have a good Xmas

Comment

On your gages there is (should be) a little rubber bung, pull the bung out to reveal a hole, then you need a thin screwdriver or pen internal, push it through the hole into the little button on the dials and all shall be reset. Just dont forget to change it.
          well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

How old is the belt? Do you know if it's ever been changed before?

Nev

Comment

What makes this warning light come on?

Hey, I just had my timing belt changed on my '99 Surf last year about 10,000 km's ago. The light just popped back on today. I'm hoping that this light is "tripped" on by the odometer as my odometer just stopped working and got stuck on going going to 60,000 KM's. So I'm thinking that the odometer is the culprit and I just need to reset the light. Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by majbjb View Post
                Hey, I just had my timing belt changed on my '99 Surf last year about 10,000 km's ago. The light just popped back on today. I'm hoping that this light is "tripped" on by the odometer as my odometer just stopped working and got stuck on going going to 60,000 KM's. So I'm thinking that the odometer is the culprit and I just need to reset the light. Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Thanks!
                Sounds about right, just reset it.
                It's different on a 3rd gen, you need to remove the clocks.
                Plenty of info on here about it.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks! I'm out here in the middle of freakin' no where in Paraguay right now (thank god for cell signals and internet!) and the thought that some little sensor was telling me the timing belt was about to pop apart was not welcome. So I'll continue on my merry way back to civilization...Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X