Clattering noise - Updated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clattering noise - Updated!

I've created a new thread as the oil pressure was a red herring, it wasn't low at all. After a long run on a hot day, it was sitting at about 1/4 on the gauge on idle...so ignore the previous thread.

So on the advice of Nev, I've checked the timing and all the marks line up as they should. Plenty of oil in her now. I had to make a quick run to the garage earlier (2 mins away), so gave it a run.

So it's starts perfectly, no smoke or excessive noises. It accelerates normally, again with no noise. Was just like it always was until I was just getting to the garage, then suddenly, the clattering noise came back. No loss of power that I noticed (although I was pretty much just idling into the garage).

I stopped for 5 mins to do some errands, then jumped back in and headed home. Again, first minute or so no problems, then all of a sudden, the noise comes back. When I got home, I left it idling and had a poke around under the bonnet. The noise is definitely most prominent on the injection pump side. It sounds like a really worn camshaft, but seems to be coming from lower down. Pretty certain it's not big ends as it sounds fine when first started, even with load on it.

It's like all of a sudden, a valve or sensor makes something change position and it starts chattering it's head off. It's a real weird problem, so I'm pretty stumped at the moment. Would a video of the noise help at all?

Originally posted by DMAudio View Post
    Would a video of the noise help at all?
    Yes

Comment

No problem...just uploaded, so may need a few minutes to finish processing, but here it is;
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpNhn...ature=youtu.be

Still not entirely convinced it's not coming from under the valve cover, so I'm gonna whip that off and see if there's anything obvious under there.
      Last edited by DMAudio; 3 June 2013, 20:29.

Comment

What you're hearing is diesel knock caused by a problem with the injector pump not delivering fuel at the right time or a blockage.

Have you been using veg oil?

Comment

Never used veg oil at all Vince. Any ideas on what I could check? Is it possible it's one of the sensors on the pump?

Comment

OK, another update. After doing a lot of digging around, I found the testing procedure for the Timer Control Valve. Apparently the impedance across the connection should be between 11 and 14 ohms. I tested the one on the pump I removed last year, and sure enough...11 ohms. Tested the one on the Surf, 3.4 ohms!

I connected it back up, and the problem seemed to disappear (didn't take it for a run though). Disconnected the valve, and sure enough...makes the same diesel knock.

So looks like it's the Timer Control Valve after all. Looks like a total sod to get to, but apparently it can be done by removing the engine mount support bracket...which saves taking the pump off. Going to head out now and see just how bad a job it's gonna be. Will report back later.

EDIT: Sure enough, swapped the Timer Control Valve with the one off the original pump, and boom, she runs great again.

I'd like to thank all you guys for your input, couldn't have done it without the wealth of knowledge here.
            Last edited by DMAudio; 6 June 2013, 19:40.

Comment

Well respect to you for coming back to the thread and explaining.

Many people don't arse themselves to do so and the thread stays incomplete.

Glad it's sorted

Comment

Was the least I could do considering how helpful people round here usually are

Comment

result

as Sylux said, respect for completing.

Comment

Working...
                  X