Engine rebuild / replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild / replacement

Hopefully got this in the right section this time.

So far - The head on my 2.4 cracked earlier this year, after trying and failing to raise the cash for a V8 swap, I've had to go with replacing / repairing the 2.4 for now. This thread will hopefully help any other first time engine builders.

After messing about with cars for longer than I care to remember, this is the first time I've attempted anything like this and I'm hoping that the truck will still run when I've finished it. I am looking forward to it more than you could imagine (hey, it's a big thing for me ) and really enjoying it so far.

The pic below shows where I was upto at the end of May.
    Attached Files

Ok, so now that the pic is a better size, some details. What you can see in the pic above is the bottom half of a 2.4 Surf engine with an alledged 89,000 miles on it. Although not warranted, I had it checked and it's condition certainly seems to suggest that this could well be the case.
    I bought a new head from Roughtrax (brilliant customer service, when I sent the cracked head to them in exchange, they phoned me to let me know that I had left some parts still attached that I would need and sent them back to me at their expense). As well as a new waterpump, thermostat, timing belt kit, head bolts and full gasket set.
    From the looks of the original engine, it would seem that a previous owner (not someone from this forum, I need to add), has been aware of the possible head problem and used something like K-seal to mask it until it was sold. The two piston's and pots at the back of the engine look to have suffered a little. So not wanting to take any chances, I bought the 2nd hand bottom half from ebay. Not having enough money to buy a complete replacement engine and with a perverted desire to do it myself as much as possible, this is the cheapest option for me.

Comment

This is how far I've got up until today.
      Attached Files

Comment

Discovered that two sender units are broken, probably didn't help originally. I'm fairly certain that the one on the left is a water temp sender unit, but sure about the on on the right. Can someone identify it please
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm trying to work methodically and swap all the ancillaries from the original bottom half to the replacement before removing the old one from the truck. I need to remove the alternator but it has a couple of pipes attached to it that look as though they carry brake fluid? it's mounted on the lower left hand side of the engine as you look at from the front - pictured below, the two pulleys are attached to it - is it something to do with the brakes?
          Attached Files

Comment

The 2 sender units on the 2.4 thermostat housing are the temp gauge sender and the fan switch.

The thin pipes on the alt are vacuum pipes - the vacuum pump is the 'extra' bit on the front of the alt.

Rob.

Comment

Aha, thanks Rob

Comment

Starting to look more like an engine now
                Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone tell me where this bit in the pic goes please. The engine wasn't dismantled by me so I'm not really certain of where it goes. The other one of them is on under the turbo, so I'm guessing that this one goes on the opposite side, but not sure where

Thanks in advance
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is where I'm at so far with the build up, hopefully it looks right?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                      Can anyone tell me where this bit in the pic goes please. The engine wasn't dismantled by me so I'm not really certain of where it goes. The other one of them is on under the turbo, so I'm guessing that this one goes on the opposite side, but not sure where

Thanks in advance
                      exhaust manifold brace. single end to manifold at turbo end. other two go to block/oil cooler.

Comment

So, do they both go on the same side of the engine?

I have one fitted from the turbo to the block (bolts in either side of the oil filter housing). I thought the second one must fit the other side of the engine (same side as starter motor)?

Thanks

Comment

there is only one per engine afaik. don't think the inlet side has a brace at all.

Comment

There's a brace for the starter motor on the passenger side, but I think the pic posted was the one tweak'e mentioned for the exhaust manifold - block brace.
                            Last edited by wishbone; 23 June 2013, 10:27.

Comment

Ok. I have spare bits then, lol

I've fitted one from the turbo to the oil cooler and the brace for the starter motor is fitted. So the second manifold brace I have must have come from somewhere, maybe the previous owner had it lying in the engine bay for some reason

Comment

Working...
                              X