Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change from underslung spare to swing away

YESSS!!
    finally i had done it, i was waiting for quite some time to do this change.
    first got a corner of a surf to get the reinforcement inside the skin

then got a tailgate same color from a surf that had swing away tailgate due the internal reinforcement of it

removed the old tailgate, and started to cut the reinforcement in half, due it won't fit in one piece

then when i got the old tailgate off i squeeze the bits in

before fitting in the new tailgate, needed to drill the first holes

one just behind the hinge and the first 2 for the carrier

first set of holes done and new tailgate on, the reinforcement (the 2 first halves are on)

bit of freshened up to the number plate light holder, painted in black and installed at the same time a colour reverse camera, can you see it?

testing with only 4 bolts on the carrier

and while is there, marking where the other 4 bolts goes

and finished, included debadged
    Last edited by budweiser; 6 July 2013, 07:30.
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

doe it looks strong enough, i want to bring it to my friend to see if he can weld the bits i cut in half

Comment

So next time someone asks "can I just bolt the rear carrier onto my surf" here the answer, loads of blood sweat and tears

Very nice work, personally after changing from underslung on 2nd gen to rear carrier on 3rd gen I find the rear carrier annoying, but have to give you credit on a hell of a job you've done there, looks a treat
      Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Looks good, hope the thread i wrote that vince corrected me on was of some help, i fitted a hard thin rubber gasket between the hinges and the body, big thick bolts that were a good fit in the hinge holes and large washers inside to help spread the load on the part of the body the hinge bolts up on,
        i've had a 33" spare hanging on mine for a couple of years now and no problems with bodywork splitting around the bolts,
        nice job mate.
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Proper job, nice work bud.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            Looks good, hope the thread i wrote that vince corrected me on was of some help, i fitted a hard thin rubber gasket between the hinges and the body, big thick bolts that were a good fit in the hinge holes and large washers inside to help spread the load on the part of the body the hinge bolts up on,
            i've had a 33" spare hanging on mine for a couple of years now and no problems with bodywork splitting around the bolts,
            nice job mate.
            yes this thread, http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41558

in multitude of counselors there is some result! thats why this forum.

thank you all.
            Last edited by budweiser; 6 July 2013, 00:01.

Comment

done for now with a few more bits, thanks all for your comments

Comment

advise please

Hi budweiser
                I went to get a tailgate motor today and ended up buying the whole tailgate and swing armwith a view to changing from a undermounted spair wheel to a tailgate mounted one I figured I would have to put in some reinforcement but I didnt realise there was an actual reinforcing piece . Will I need to get the piece or do you think its possible to make up something myself
                Any help wuold be much appreciated
                Thanks
                John

Comment

Popeye managed to do everything by himself, you can se a link to it a couple of post avobe!
                  But i was a bit more lazy and i cut the factory reinforcement of one for scrap. It was easyer for me.

Comment

Where abouts are you?

Comment

Hi budweiser im in tramore in waterford I was also wondering about the partition in the back of your surf
                      Do you know is it possible to convert a commercial to a crew cab , what needs to be done for a doe etc and while in annoying you with questions can you recommond or have any info on an intercooler for my 2.4
                      Thank you:-)

Comment

give us a line to thejoke.acosta @ gmail. com thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jmcbohola View Post
                          Hi budweiser
                          I went to get a tailgate motor today and ended up buying the whole tailgate and swing arm with a view to changing from a under mounted spare wheel to a tailgate mounted one I figured I would have to put in some reinforcement but I didn't realize there was an actual reinforcing piece.GOT ONE SPARE THAT I BOUGHT JUST IN CASE I MADE A MISTAKE Will I need to get the piece or do you think its possible to make up something myself
                          Any help would be much appreciated
                          Thanks
                          John
                          and got an intercooler with elbows and bracket all ready to fit on a 2.4 too.

Comment

Sold!!!!!!!

Comment

Thought to post some more pics of when i was cutting out the reinforcement.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X