Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swing out rear mounted spare wheel carrier

Good day all,
    I have a 1996 3 rd gen with the rear swing out spare wheel carrier, The top hinge pin / tube is worn. As i am driving along it is rattling about. Worse when going over speed bumps. Anyone else had this problem , and how did you solve it ? I was going to put a small run of weld down the tube that the pin goes through, to shrink it. Any other ideas ? Take care all, drive safe.

You can grease them. There are two very small pin holes I used a syringe to put the grease in. Slow job, but I could not find a needle adaptor foe a grease gun. I am going to try a bike pump with a football adaptor on it next time.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Needle adapters on ebay.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

thanks for that i have looked but cant find them
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
          thanks for that i have looked but cant find them
          I searched for "grease gun needle adapter" and found some.

Comment

spare wheel carrier

Hia all,
            thank you for your comments. I ended up drilling and taping out for a 6 mm grease nipple. Cant leve the nipple in place though, it foul's the hinge brackets. Takes the rattle out for a short while though. Take care, drive safe.

Comment

Resurrect this thread as I found that there is a lot of play/movement in the bottom hinge on my third gen. On the Hilux FB page someone is mentioning replacing worn plastic bushes with bronze ones. Has anyone done this here?

Comment

Working...
              X