Search this site:

Google:
Yahoo:
MSN:

Home Surf FAQ

Old 26th October 2004, 20:02   #1
computingfuture

Default Intercooler on a 2.4

As a few of you who have read some of my other posts will know I am working on puting a top mounted intercooler onto my surf. I have swapped the first intercooler I had for another which looks easier to mount. I have gone to an exhaust shop and got some lengths of stainless cut, bent and the diameter increased to fit. I am waiting for some silicone hoses to be made for me. After that all I have to do is fabricate the brackets and it should be all systems go, I am hoping to get this installed before our trip to wales on sunday. (Fingers Crossed).

I will take some photos when I am doing it and post them here.
Old 26th October 2004, 20:51   #2
MarkR

Why not a front mount? That way you can put in a much larger IC as well as avoid heat soak from your engine. A large FMIC may take slightly longer to pressurize, but once it does your air charge will be much cooler, giving you alot more power at a given level of boost while keeping your EGT lower.
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 21:20   #3
computingfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
Why not a front mount? That way you can put in a much larger IC as well as avoid heat soak from your engine. A large FMIC may take slightly longer to pressurize, but once it does your air charge will be much cooler, giving you alot more power at a given level of boost while keeping your EGT lower.
I have an SSR-G with the towing pack so have a massive transmission oil cooler, and AC rad and the main rad. I cant see where I could put even a small one at the front.
Old 27th October 2004, 08:39   #4
lucky
The Godfather

Vehicle: 1993 Land Cruiser 80 Series 4.2TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
Front mounts are known to cause pretty wicked turbo lag due to the increased pipework.

Cheers

www.landcruiser-rocks.co.uk
www.gloucestershire4x4response .co.uk
www.4x4response.info
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2004, 14:46   #5
rubblebags
Airbourne Division

Vehicle: 93 SURF ssrx 2.4 Wine Red

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/performance.htm
dont know if this is any assistance.

Looked at it last night.
Geoff
Old 27th October 2004, 15:26   #6
MarkR

Even though a FMIC will have a little longer pressurization (lag) time because of the extra piping, it will still provide greater power with lower EGTs than a top mount IC. In other words, while a top mount will give you a much quicker throttle response, a front mount will give you much greater power with much less stress to the engine than a top mount. This is whole point of intercooling in the first place.

Of course, if there is nowhere to fit an intercooler in front, then none of that really matters. A top mount is still much better than no IC. One other benefit of a top mount for off-road applications is that the IC on top will be less vulnerable to trail hazards & mud clogging than a front mount.
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2004, 19:52   #7
computingfuture

update: I got some stainless tubes bent, cut and stretched at a custom exhaust place in exeter yesterday and then went to a company that created custom silicone pipework. I only paid 20 for the stainless but have had to fork out a whopping 170 for the silicone piping I need and have to wait 14 days for it to be fabricated.

All I have to do now is wait, ohh and fabricate some mounts too.

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
HTML code is Off
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On